ST-10XME...How to hook up to selfguide

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Stuart Beaber, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Stuart Beaber

Stuart Beaber Standard User

I am currently using my ST-10 to image only and am using a piggy backed guide scope with separate camera to guide with. The guiding system is hooked up as follows: usb from guide camera to computer>PHD1>GPUSB >guide port on a Gemini 1 running a Losmandy G11. For the main imaging camera I'm using CCDSoft for image acquisition.

I want to remove the entire separate guide scope/guide camera and utilize the ST-10's secondary guide chip to guide with via CCDSoft/Autoguide tab.

The question is how is the best way to hook up (cable) the ST-10 to the computer/CCDSoft/Autoguide tab and back to the guide port on the Gemini 1 controller. The instructions for CCDSoft are quite old and I can't seem to find the instructions for how to cable this up. I do have the 6 wire cable (telephone type) that came with the ST-10. I has the flat plastic fittings on both ends. I also have the adapter for the 9 pin to 6 wire fitting plugin on the ST-10.

Any help is welcome...

Stu

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Stu,
    Normally you'd just connect it something like this:

ST-10 D-9 pin SCOPE connector -> 9pin adapter to RJ12 socket -> RJ12 telephone cable -> Losmandy Gemini 1 Autoguider jack

I can't help you with CCDSoft - it's not been supported by Software Bisque for years, and I am not that familiar with it.
    Main thing is to tell it to specify that camera to use the internal guide chip as the guider.

You might want to upgrade to MaxIm DL Pro.

3. Stuart Beaber

Thanks Colin...That hook up was one of the options I was looking at...just seems too simple! As to CCDSoft...it works just fine, even on a win 10 machine (x86)...go figure!

I'm still not sure how the CCDSoft autoguider tab would get info about how the guide star is moving around... unless it's over the USB cable.

Got it about telling the camera which chip to guide with. I have done this before years ago when I had a ST-8xme and a LX200 mount, but have forgot how I did it. Think I plugged into the autostar handbox but now have the Gemini 1 controller instead. I just got over lots of Gemini 1 troubles and was a bit concerned about messing something up in the Gemini.

I'll give it a try...

Many thanks,
    Stu

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

It really is simple.

The "brain" of the ST10 digitizes the rows and columns of both sensors, one at a time.
    The data is passed over the USB interface to the computer, through the SBIGUDrv drivers and on to CCDSoft.
    When downloading the image from either the big sensor or the guide chip, the camera is totally tied up transfering the data.

When guiding, CCDSoft is doing exposures with the guide sensor; subframes make it run faster. If the guide star moves enough, CCDSoft sends a drive correction signal to the ST10, which then closes a circuit in the telephone cord to move the mount.
    If the cable is wired wrong, the mount will not move in the correct direction or will run off in one direction.
    When the main camera is finished doing its light exposure, then CCDSoft starts pulling the main sensor data from the camera; due to the design of the ST10, it really can't continue to do guiding while that download happens,and that takes many seconds.
    Once the data is down, guiding can resume.

With the LX200, it went into guider input jack on the "console" of the mount, not into the hand box.

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

BTW a more modern arrangement, possible with newer mounts and newer guiding software like MaxIm and others, is to use ASCOM Direct Guide, where software sends guiding commands to the mount, and no cable is needed between camera or shoestring adapter and the mount.

6. Stuart Beaber

Colin...it has been very good talking with you about this. You give me the confidence to "plug that cable in" and give it a try again after lots of years of "separate guide scoping". I know there are much newer things out there...but I'm one of them "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda guys that's still stuck in the 50's...so to speak.

Many thanks again,
    Stu

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Stu, you'd better check the manual for the Gemini 1. I was talking with a colleague, and he thinks a relay interface box might be needed. (We dont sell those anymore). It seems there were different models of controllers for the G11, and depending on how it works electrically, you might need something different.

8. Stuart Beaber

Colin...thanks for your concern. I checked the Gemini manual yesterday for just that. I have the newer Gemini 1 (round din jacks, lighted on/off rocker switch). The manual states, quoted in part: "The autoguider port on the newer Gemini is plug compatible with a large variety of autoguiders"...."or an autoguider with the TTL output such as the SBIG ST-7/8/9/10 directly using the appropriate cable. Use SBIG's "TIC" cable for the ST-4 and STV, and SBIG's"TEC-78" cable for cameras with TTL output."

"The SBIG relay box can be used, but is not necessary. "

I have the guide cable that came with the camera and I'm making the assumption that the cable it came with is a "TIC-78" When you hold the 2 end plugs side by side, same side up and facing the same direction the wiring (colors) are opposite. I just happen to have an old Remote Guide Head (RGH) cable left over from when I used a RGH cable (~4 feet long) on a separate guide scope (years ago) and it's the exact same wiring arrangement.

Currently I'm using a separate guide scope with a DSI pro camera routed to the computer>PHD1>GPUSB box>back to the Gemini 1 guide jack. This is the confusing part however...that cable is wired backwards form the cable that came with the ST-10 and my old RGH cable. Maybe that GPUSB box makes that ok???

Anyways, this is the reason for my concern in the first place and why I asked the question. One of the manuals (forgot which) also says that a relay box can be used but is not required and will not do harm...

This all may not matter anyways, I don't think we'll ever see clear skies again here in Virginia... :^((
    Stu

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, so you don't need the relay box.
    There are 2 ways to wire a phone cord - flipped or straight thru.
    About half the stuff does it one way, and the rest the other.
    So, worst case you have to change the cable.

10. Stuart Beaber

Yep...that's what I figured