ST10-XME temp at 99.9 cooling locked at 100%

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Roger Groom, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Roger Groom

Roger Groom Standard User

Hi,

I operate an ST10-XME for a local observatory and we have an issue where the camera has suddenly changed to only return a chip temp of 99.9, and the cooling appears to be locked on (the image is fogged over as though it's cooling too hard).

It seems from one night to the next it went from operating normally to this situation. The setup is internet/remote controlled so night to night there is should not be any physical change in the setup between nights to cause the problem.

I have tried both MaximDL and CCDSoft, both show the same 99.9 temperature reading.

In either program when I turn cooling on (to a setpoint of -5c, ambient is about 10c), the cooler sits at 100%. Irrespective of whether the cooler is on or off the temperature continues to read 99.9. The cooler temp reported does not change over time.

Attached is a screen shot of Maxim camera control showing with cooling on and set to -5c.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Regards,
    Roger.

Attached Files:

2. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Roger,

That symptom is usually the result of a corrupted EEprom. If you have the Advanced menu in CCDOps, you can see what the Camera Configuration reports.

-Bill

3. Roger Groom

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply. In CCDOps I don't seem to have an "advanced" menu, or at least I can't see it. Is it possible to reset/reprogram the EEprom without sending the camera to you?

Attached is screenshots from CCDOps - settings page and the info page.

Thanks,
    Roger.

Attached Files:

4. Bill

Roger,

I just sent you instructions via email on how to get the Advance Menu. The camera may or may not have to come in, if the EEprom is corrupted then you should be able to correct it. If it's something else then...

-Bill

5. Roger Groom

Hi Bill,

We've had mixed experiences with the camera since my post in September, with it operating cooling normally for some of the time, then seemingly having fogging issues (so we baked the desiccant) but now quite definitely cooling is not functioning.

The symptom has changed somewhat, so that now the cooler power appears to sit on at an 100% but the cooling seems to be effective but less effective, with the camera temperature taken down, for example from 20c to 1c, but not as low as it normally would go (normal setpoint is -5c and that is usually easily reached).

I have edited and saved the EEPROM settings several times and power cycled the camera but the settings have always appeared to be correct, and neither updating the EEPROM or power cycling seems t have had a definitive impact. I have attached a screenshot of the advanced Camera Configuration screen so you can confirm the settings for me (ST10-XME).

The fan is functioning, but I'm unsure how to determine more accurately what of the cooling is functioning. It is almost like half the cooling has failed.

Any recommendations appreciated.

PS. Note that this is a different camera to the one I mention in a different thread about the fan not working.

Regards,
    Roger.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  6. Bill

I don't know what to tell you Rog. I think it should come in so that it can be tested and diagnosed.

-Bill

7. Roger Groom

Understandable Bill.

I'll discuss with the observatory ways forward. Obviously these cameras are getting a bit old now so debatable whether to repair or replace. Do you have a minimum cost you would expect investigation / repair to be?

Thanks,
    Roger.