STF-8300C Unknown Device in Windows 10

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by George Carlen, Sep 22, 2017.

1. George Carlen

George Carlen Standard User

Received a used STF and ST-I unit. Installed the new driver checker and the latest version of CCDOps. The ST-I is discovered and works perfectly but the 8300 fails to connect on multiple computers. When the unit is energized I hear the fan but do not hear or see any shutter clicks or movement.

Here are the device screenshots:

8300_a.png

8300_b.png

8300_c.png

There appears to be a similar issue at www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=93164 and I'm hoping the same fix works.

Thoughts or direction?

Attached Files:

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Have you tried manually selecting the driver for the Unknown Device? On the "Driver" tab, click the "Update Driver" button and manually select the "SBIG USB-64 Camera with Firmware".

3. George Carlen

Yes sir. Nothing comes up on it's own and if I try to manually direct it to the directory where the driver is, I'm instructed that there is no driver available for that device.

ETA - Would the lack of any shutter activity upon power on be indicative of anything?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  4. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Which directory are you selecting?? Typically, I would not select a directory as it is usually not where the drivers actually are.

Click the "Update Drivers" button. Next screen click "Browse my computer for driver software". Next click "Let me select from a list of drivers on my computer". On the next screen if you see the checkbox for "Show Compatible Hardware", uncheck it. Otherwise, if you are presented with a list of manufacturers locate "SBIG", and you should see the driver.

Yes, the firmware is possibly corrupted.

Have you tried a different PC?

5. George Carlen

Yes, I have tried on three computers (2 desktops and 1 laptop) all with the same results. The ST-I works flawlessly by the 8300 just runs the fan. In addition, I have tried different USB ports, different cables, and I have measured the output voltage of the power supply, all without success.

If the firmware is corrupt, can it be rebuilt by the user?

6. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Unfortunately, no. You will need to send it in for service. You can contact Bill Lynch for details on how and where to send it:

Bill Lynch – SBIG Service & Repair Center

3769 Constellation Road, Unit D
    Lompoc, CA 93436
    Bill Lynch – email
    Phone: (805) 308-6979

7. George Carlen

Just to bring some closure to this thread, Bill was able to diagnose the problem to be a shorted USB interface IC. The fix is halve the cost of a new camera but I'm going forward with the replacement of the board. As the unit came with a complete AP package (buyer beware) I'm anxious to find out how this could have happened so I can take steps to have it not happen again.

Tim, thank you for your help on this.

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Typically these things don't simply fail on their own. Do you leave it plugged in inside an observatory? If so there would be a chance of damage from an indirect lightning strike.

9. George Carlen

Unknown as this was part of a entire AP purchase and I had never had the unit powered up and working on my own. I believe Bill was also scratching his head on the how and his only thought was that it may be a good practice to connect the USB "after" power has been applied to the unit. I know this would be difficult for remote applications but as I am not remoting at this time, I'm happy to abide by the practice so as not to repeat the failure.

Going forward, everything is either powered by isolated battery or go through a surge protector. With that much money, why take chances. Thank you very much for chiming in on this Doug.