STL-FW8 Filter Wheel

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by donwaid, Nov 10, 2014.

1. donwaid

donwaid Cyanogen Customer

Hopefully DL will make these available again. In the mean time, I am looking for one to put on a STL-6303. (Need the extra positions for narrowband filters.) If anyone has one they are willing to part with, please contact me off line at:

don (at) aiwebs.com

Thanks,
    Don Waid

2. Terry Robison

Terry Robison Standard User

I would buy a STL-FW8 today from SBIG if they were available. Personally, I have invested heavily with SBIG as I have 4 SBIG cameras, filter wheels, AO-L, etc. Loyal customers were effectively snubbed as all supporting items were removed from the older cameras. It’s impossible to get desiccant plugs, filter wheels etc. That isn’t really how a company should treat loyal customers. After all, without those customers, where would you be?

I have to keep ripping my camera apart to change filters from narrow band to LRGB. Every time risking damage, and introducing dust into the system.

Why can’t SBIG make an adapter plate to fit newer filter wheels to the STL bodies, or make filter wheels available. Having to purchase a new STLX, AOX, Guide head, filter wheel is really an expensive option.

Terry

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I do agree with you, the previous owners of SBIG terminated STL support very abruptly, and without much thought to ongoing customer support. Spare parts are an issue; our main focus at the moment is trying to ensure that STL cameras can be repaired going forward.

There do appear to be some leftover STL filter wheel parts in inventory; it would take a little research to find out whether some additional wheels could be constructed. That said we're a bit stretched manpower-wise right now. We could look into this after the transition is completed.

4. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

I haven't seen any of the FW8 parts and I'm fairly certain they are long gone. I believe there might be some of the 5 position carousels but unfortunately, a carousel alone does not a "Filter Wheel" make.

5. Terry Robison

Bill and Doug,

Is it possible to construct an adapter plate that effectively replaces the internal 5 filter wheel mechanism completely? You bolt this adaptor plate to the STL body using the existing bolt pattern. This is effectively a shallow hollow cavity taking place of the 5 filter wheel. This now forms a mating surface for the newer filter wheel to attach to. If done correctly, there would be little backfocus lost. The existing front internal filter wheel would be consuming at least 15 mm. Since you don’t have to replicate any of this, the adapter could be quite shallow.

Hopefully I wasn't too confusing with my explanation and you could follow what I was writing. Or, did I fail, and really mess that up my explaination?

Terry

6. Terry Robison

Has anyone at SBIG had a chance to look at this?

Terry

7. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

I know I am speaking out of turn here as I am merely the repairman but considering where we are in the transition process and the amount of work we still have to do, I can't imagine anyone digging into this for a good while. Perhaps Terry you can do something like Steve Mandel did with the Muscle Plate and produce and sell it on your own. Just a thought.

Respectfully,

Bill

8. Terry Robison

Hi Bill. Something like that is exactly what I'm after. I just need to track down accurate drawings of the newer filter wheel vs the STL body. A very simple solution.

Terry

9. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Hi Terry, I am checking on the drawing for you now. I will PM you with more.

Regards
    Tim

10. csandfort

csandfort Cyanogen Customer

Terry, or DL, please keep us updated if progress is made. I'm very interested in a FW8 for my STL.

11. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Terry was able to get it sorted out
    best regards
    Tim

12. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

keep in mind Terry was making a custom part

13. csandfort

csandfort Cyanogen Customer

Good news! Perhaps Terry will make extra parts for the rest of us if it works out. I still use my Mandel Muscle Plate and would be happy to have a Terry FW8 adapter.