Waiting for filter wheel...

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by lukepower, Jul 8, 2016.

1. lukepower

lukepower Cyanogen Customer

Hi there,
    we are operating an STF-8300M camera in the Kalahari desert remotely, and since a few days we are experiencing an odd behaviour.
    Basically, the camera from time to time is hanging in MaximDl at the "Waiting for filter wheel" message. Disconnecting and Reconnecting the camera, power cycling and even rebooting helps sometimes, but most of the times it doesn't. The only thing that seems to make things work again is raising the temperature (we have the camera cooled to -20°C usually). Is there any way we could narrow down the error source remotely, without having to be on location?
    Firmware and drivers have been updated to the latest, but this didn't change the situation.

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

What version of MaxIm DL are you using?

Please zip and send us your "Settings" folder located in "My Documents/MaxIm DL 6", so we may see what options you have set.

Please send screenshot of your SBIGDriverChecker64 Drivers and Firmware tabs.

3. lukepower

4. Tim

Tim Staff Member

You should be able to download a newer version of MaxIm DL. Try updating and see if that helps.

Is your system on AC or battery power?

Are you using a USB hub?

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Also what model of filter wheel are you using?

6. lukepower

Hi Tim,
    I have to check if the update is possible, as the license expired in october 2015.
    The system is AC powered and we ar eusing an USB hub. Keep in mind that it worked flawlessy for more than two years.
    The filter wheel is the FW8S-STT

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Given your desert location, have you considered the possibility that fine windblown sand has accumulated inside the wheel and is jamming the bearings?

8. lukepower

Hi Doug,
    it's well possible, yes. We checked the whole equipment in May and everything was working fine before and after, and as it's not a storm season I don't think it should be an issue. But we'll have to check that one on site

EDIT: I am trying it live now, and have again this error. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. It seems that if the camera has been cooled for a long time it throws this error... sbig3.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  9. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Please provide the 5 digit serial number listed on the "Help" -> "About MaxIm DL" window and I can tell you if you are eligible for the update.

10. lukepower

Hi Tim,
    thanks for your help. I've sent you a private message with the serial.
    I did some more testing and to me it seems that the filter wheel is positioning the filters in wrong positions. I can clearly see the shadow of the wheel (the part between two filters) covering always part of the image. My guess is that either some dust is impending correct motion, or the optical sensor is reading some wrong values.
    There is definitively some movement, so the motor seems to work.

11. Tim

Tim Staff Member

You may need to remove the cover to inspect it more closely.

12. lukepower

Ok, today a few guys down there have unmounted the filter wheel and inspected it.
    It seems that they were unable to find out any more details - it all seemed fine - but after reconnection we got a filter wheel error (cannot initialize it). After changeing some settings in Maxim it seems to work again now.
    However, a first light frame came out like this:
    sbig5.jpg

Seems a light leak, or... well, I dunno. There is not much light around in the desert at night :)

13. Doug

Doug Staff Member

There is no light source in the wheel - the position sensors are magnetic. So if it's a light leak I don't know where it's coming from.