Can't connect to STF8300M

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Gregg Ruppel, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Gregg Ruppel

Gregg Ruppel Cyanogen Customer

I picked up a used STF8300M and was able to connect to it in MaximDL by selecting STF8300 in the Connect To menu. I then re-connected an ST8300C, and now I am unable to connect the STF. All drivers are updated and there is an entry in the Device Manager: SBIG USB-64 Pro Camera With Firmware. The Connect To dropdown in the camera dialog now has USB but no longer shows STF8300. I get error 27, can't initialize camera, when trying to connect. If I move the USB cable to a different connector I get an error that the Device driver was not successfully installed. Camera not recognized in CCDOpps either. What is going on?? Amazingly, I can still connect to the 8300C.

2. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Hard to say Gregg. Inability to connect, when it's due to a camera failure, is usually corrupted EEprom, shorted USB IC or damaged microprocessor. The latter two being fatal, requiring the board to be replaced.

-Bill

3. Gregg Ruppel

Bill
    It seems odd that the camera connected fine the first time and then stopped. Are there any hardware tests I can perform to nail down the problem?

4. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Odd indeed, I can't say I know why it would have happened. If it isn't showing up in the Device Manager... You could try a fresh driver install on that 2nd USB port, not my strongest area of expertise but easy enough to do I believe. If that doesn't work then it'll likely need to come in.

-Bill

5. Gregg Ruppel

Bill
    I have tried the camera on a couple of PCs with the same result. It shows up in the device manager as "Unknown Device" with the question mark, and trying to update the driver fails. What do I need to do to send it in?

6. Roger Walters

Roger Walters Cyanogen Customer

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

8. Roger Walters

Roger Walters Cyanogen Customer

I also can not get Maxim DL5 to recognize my STF 8300M even though CCDOps runs the camera fine on the same computer. Would appreciate anybodys help particularly Maxim who I purchased their product from

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Roger, please post a thread in the MaxIm DL section. If it works in CCDOPS then it's a software issue of some kind.

10. JoshuaHufford

JoshuaHufford Cyanogen Customer

Make sure your USB cable is good, try another cable. Also make sure the pins on the camera for the USB connection are making good contact. I had a bad USB connection at the camera and my camera would show up as "Unknown Device"

11. Gregg Ruppel

Josh
    Thanks for the reply. I'm sure it's not the cable because the same one works on an ST8300C. Camera is on its way back to SBIG for service...☹️