ASCOM driver for STF-8300

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Aleh, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Doug

Doug Staff Member

All of our cameras that are currently being manufactured (Aluma CCD, Aluma AC, STC, and StarChaser series) use the new generation DL Imaging driver, which does include ASCOM support.

Colin Haig and Len B like this.
  2. William Castleman

William Castleman Cyanogen Customer

Thank you for correcting my misunderstanding about ASCOM Drivers for SBIG cameras

I downloaded and installed your latest ASCOM drivers onto my Windows 10 Eagle4s and tried to use them with my Aluma 694 and NINA. NINA recognized the SBIG camera ASCOM choice in the menu. When I tried to connect, I got an error message that they were X86 drivers and would not connect. NINA requires 64-bit drivers installed as true 64-bit drivers. Downloading and installing your ASCOM drivers had one other effect in that they caused Maxim DL 6.2 to crash every time I tried to connect to my Aluma 694. I had to uninstall Maxim DL, delete the Diffraction Limited directory in Program Files (x86) and then do a clean install to get Maxim DL to function again with my Aluma 694. I considered updating my Maxim DL subscription. However, at this point I am reluctant to spend another $175 to update Maxim DL if it doesn't have 64-bit drivers that will interface with NINA.
    Thank you for your assistance.

P.S. - I have moved from the original topic of this thread and will start a new thread focused on 64-bit ASCOM drivers for the Aluma694.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  3. Cedric Raguenaud

Cedric Raguenaud Standard User

Hi all,

I'm late to the thread, but being owner of a STF-8300 and wanting to try NINA and Voyager, I spent a weekend writing my own ASCOM drivers for SBIG cameras (and a little time since tweaking with the help of users on CN). At the moment it provides access to imaging CCD, FW, and temperature control.

It is in the process of being tested. So far so good on STF-8050 and STF-8300 with SGP, NINA, Voyager, Sharpcap, apart from a weirdness with some of them that display the image vertical (there must be confusion between the axes, but it's a small issue). I'm also planning to add access to the guiding chip of the STT (just found one) to use from Phd.

For those interested to test it: https://github.com/cedric-r/ASCOM.HomeMade.SBIGCamera/blob/main/HomeMade SBIG Camera Setup.exe
    It installs drivers "ASCOM SBIG Imaging Camera Driver" for the imaging camera and "ASCOM SBIG FilterWheel Driver" for the filter wheel.

I'm interested in feedback from DL if you want to provide any. The source is available on GitHub: https://github.com/cedric-r/ASCOM.HomeMade.SBIGCamera

Thanks.

4. AstroVal

AstroVal Standard User

Hi all,

Thank you Cedric, I was looking for using a STX16803 with Nina and ascom communication was a real problem.
    With your driver, I managed to connect the filter wheel with no problem but for the STX wheiter it is imaging or guiding I got an error message "Property read ASCOM.HomeMade.SBIGImagingCamera ReadoutModes is not implemented in this driver"
    The camera is recognize (driver, sensor...etc) but I have no temperature info, nor control.

Any idea on how to solve this ?

5. Cedric Raguenaud

Hi there,

For the readout error, you can enable changing the readout mode by going into the ASCOM options and unchecking "hide readout". The reason why it's disabled by default is that SBIG cameras are a bit weird and if you change the readout mode, you also change the resolution and the binning, which confuses some clients (e.g. CCDCiel).

For the temperature control it's strange, it's always worked on all the cameras that were tested. Including an STX. If you enable the "debug trace"option and send me the log files you'll find ins you user's AppData\Local\ASCOM.HomeMade.* folders, I can have a look and see what's happening.

Thanks.

6. AstroVal

AstroVal Standard User

Hi,

I am at my observatory and after I uncheck "hide readout" it works! And I have all the info including temperature (it was probably because it couldn't connect properly).
    Thank you Cedric because controlling stx in ascom was something really needed.
    Now I can move on with other problems with NINA and my setup :rolleyes:

Cheers

7. Marcelo Melo

Marcelo Melo Standard User

Great job! for me it works well too.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  8. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Cyanogen Customer

DC-3 Dreams, SP, Mesa, Arizona +1 480 396 9700
    The readout mods are really important. They offer the various optional imaging features, binning, RBI mitigation etc.

9. David Higgins

David Higgins Standard User

Just tried connecting to my STL1001E in NINA 2 using the driver - connects, finds the filter wheel and cools. More testing in due course.
    Well done and thank you Cedric.

10. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

We're currently working on an x64 installer for our ASCOM drivers that should allow use of DLImaging compatible cameras in NINA x64.
    More info on that coming after our beta tests conclude.

11. AstroVal

AstroVal Standard User

After working from time to time on controlling all my setup with NINA it is finally working (with Cedric ASCOM Driver). I noticed that when I change the binning in NINA it actually doesn't bin. A binning 2x2 just take the top left quarter of our image (same scale, same flux, it's just a cropped image of our bin1x1 image). I guess it is link with the "hide readout" mode but I don't know how to fix this (or even if there is a way).
    Looking forward DL driver.

12. Aleh

Aleh Standard User

Hello!
    Great job, Cedric!

But during installation I get error. Could you give me some advise?
    Windows 7 64.
    26032022_125952.jpeg

13. Cedric Raguenaud

Hi there,
    Could you try with the latest version? This issue is due to the fact that selecting readout mode on sbig cameras changes resolution. Readout mode change is now disabled my default.
    Thanks.

14. Cedric Raguenaud

Hi Alex,

I haven't seen that. But then I haven't tested with Windows 7. Was that with the latest version? I assume that you're using the 64 bits driver. Does it work if you try 32 bits?
    Thanks.

15. Aleh

Aleh Standard User

It is 1.2.2 version. I think it is the newest?

But I am not sure - how I could try 32-bit version of driver? After installation (with error I showed above) I have folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ASCOM\Camera\HomeMade SBIGCamera. There are x64\ and \x86 folders with driver. But I can not use any of them.

Thank you.

16. Cedric Raguenaud

The x86 and x64 folders contain the sbig library. They're not ascom drivers, so that's normal.

1.2.2 should be the latest version. Usually the version of the driver used depends on the software you use (x86 software will use x86 drivers).

Could you see if the event viewer had more details on the error? I can't reproduce the installation error in my machines.

Thanks.

17. Aleh

Aleh Standard User

Where I can see it?

I try Windows 10 notebook - the driver installed without problem.
    But it would be great to use it on my astro-notebook with Windows 7 64...

18. Cedric Raguenaud

I haven't been able to reproduce it yet. I only have win10 machines available at home. I'm looking for possible reaons.

On a side note, you should upgrate your win7 notebook to win10 (same licence). Things will start to not be compatible with win7 because of its age.

Aleh likes this.
  19. Frank R. Santore

Frank R. Santore Cyanogen Customer

Did this effort complete, or is a beta available? My interest in NINA (or Voyager) is limited. I'm right now mostly looking at these apps since they support the Artesky Flat Field Light Panel, and their Flats Generator capabilities look appropriate to my SBIG AC4040 needs. NINA does allow selecting DL Imaging (ASCOM) Camera, but connecting throws multiple ASCOM COM Class Retrieval errors. Thanks.

20. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member