[RESOLVED] STi not reading out

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Mchaser, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Mchaser

Mchaser Cyanogen Customer

Hi,

My STi (serial number 11537) has a stuck shutter. Also, when I take a photo, all pixels read 100. I'd love to have a camera with that smooth of a readout, but I'm guessing I don't. Driver is sbigu64.sys Ver 2.41.0.1338. The green light is on. How should I proceed?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

3. Mchaser

4. Gerald R Miller

Gerald R Miller Standard User

I recently upgraded to Win10. Didn't care for it, went back to Win7. My ST-i started randomly showing the same symptoms as reported here. So I hooked it up to another PC that I also had upgraded to Win10, that had not reverted back to Win7. I had timeouts, connection dropoffs, and noise in the image. So I figured it was a ST'i issue. But, before I sent the camera back to Bill for repair, I tried the ST-i on yet another Win7 machine that had never been upgraded to Win10. Guess what? No issues. The camera behaved as it should. To be sure, I tested it on another Win7 machine, freshly installed. Again, the camera worked perfectly.

I think there may be something in Win10 that doesn't like the SBIG drivers. I'm going to do a clean install on the original machine to be absolutely sure, and I have not yet thoroughly tested it out under the sky and can't until I do the re-installation of Win7 from scratch.

But I thought I'd mention it here. It may save the camera a trip back to Bill to repair something when nothing is wrong with the hardware.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  5. Mchaser

In my case, the computer only had been running Windows 7.

Bill got back to me promptly after I shipped the camera. He said the smaller of the two circuit boards had failed, so he replaced it.

All is well! Thanks Bill!

6. Gerald R Miller

Bill's the best-there couldn't be any better support/repair if you tried.

I hope it's a Win10 issue for my camera. More testing this weekend will tell. It could be a circuit failure, though, that's just not cooperating.

7. Gerald R Miller

Turns out a powered hub became unplugged. Had nothing's to do with the OS.

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Ah, that explains it. Glad you got it working.