Staff Assigned: Adam Robichaud Problem with Aluma 8300 Wireless Connection

Discussion in 'Aluma CCD Series' started by Greg Crawford, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Greg Crawford

Greg Crawford Cyanogen Customer

After installing a wireless access point in my observatory, I was able to detect the Aluma 8300 wireless connection as a client of my home LAN using the standalone Camera Detection and Configuration app. This shows an IP address (and port). I was also able to ping this IP address successfully using the Command Prompt. However, when I try to use the Camera Detection and Configuration app within MaxImDL 6.20, it will not detect the presence of the camera and consequently will not connect to it. This is demonstrated by the graphic attached which shows both the windows of the standalone and MaxImDL 6.20 app side-by-side. The refresh buttons in both apps have both been pushed many times over several hours. The camera shows up in my wireless routers connection list as Wi2Wi.

I see that the wireless firmware revision is "3". If there is a later version, I have been unable to access it because the download WiFi and Make WiFi card buttons remain greyed out.

So I am looking for suggestions. :)

-Greg

View attachment 5994

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

So, it looks like the camera IP assigned was the 192.168.2.35 address.
    Did you put that in to MaxIm's camera setup BEFORE hitting the advanced tab?
    DLImagingIP.png
    And then try changing the value under Pick Camera.

Also make sure you don't have the standalone utility open when trying to set up in MaxIm.

3. Greg Crawford

Thanks again, Colin, for your great support!

Initially I did not put the IP address in before clicking on "Advanced" because the camera did not show up in my router's table to tell me what IP address I would have. However, after I did put the IP address in, I kept trying again with no success. However, I turned off the standalone utility program and kept trying and eventually MaxImDL's Advanced window did detect the camera. I could not get the "Camera - Pick a Camera" to show any selection of camera, but, when I clicked on "Connect", MaxImDL did connect to the camera anyway. I was able to take and download images from the imaging chip, but the guiding chip, located in the filter wheel, suffered from error messages - "Error retrieving image array size" and despite numerous attempts I cannot get any camera to show up in the "Pick a camera "drop down list.

This is not an urgent need. I wanted to experiment with the wireless connection in order to reduce the number of cables on the mount. I can easily use the USB method in the meantime.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Greg, we'll have a look at this.
    Meanwhile, one other thing you might want to do is look at setting up your router to provide an assigned address for the camera, usually under some kind of DHCP permanent IP settings or reservations.
    Otherwise the IP address could change from time to time.
    Alternatively, assign the camera a Static IP address that does not change, and make sure it does not overlap with the DHCP range that the router will assign.
    If it connects without the Pick a camera, don't worry about it.

5. Greg Crawford

Hi Colin,
    Despite giving the camera its own IP address, which enables connection to the camera by wireless mode, the camera will not operate properly. First there is no guiding, but after a few attempts at just taking photos with the imaging chip, the camera reports an error and will no longer take main images as well. However, as I said, the need is not urgent, as I can connect by USB. If it came to it, I would vote for putting effort into getting the AO devices working with the Aluma cameras first.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Odd... we've had no problems with WiFi operation here.

AO control is essentially complete and now being tested at the shop. I'm expecting to have a version to test in my observatory shortly. Once I'm reasonably happy with it we'll put out a beta release.

7. Greg Crawford

Hi Doug,

The problem manifests mostly as an error message: "Error retrieving image array size". This is usually associated with the Guide chip, which is in the filter wheel. I can go for say 10 images and then this error message. I have a wireless access point in the observatory about a metre away from the camera. The camera seems to be happier when the wireless mode is set to bgn rather than just n.

Although the camera connects wirelessly and can be controlled wirelessly, the "Pick a camera" drop down list never shows any camera models. The camera shows up in the WiFi tab of the configuration utility/advanced setup of MaxImDL. I ascertained the camera's IP address from my router. (The WAP is not set to give out IP addresses.) The IP address is reserved for the camera in the router. The configuration utility shows wireless firmware revision 3. I don't know whether there are any later firmware revisions, but the buttons to download wireless firmware are greyed out. The constant stalling due to the error message makes the camera unusable for all night photometry. (The USB connection works fine.)

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Thank you for the specific error message; perhaps @Adam Robichaud can have a look at that.

9. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Hi Greg,

I'm aware of this issue, and it has to do with cached responses to asynchronous operation within MaxIm DL. I'm about to head out on vacation for a week and a bit, but I'll add this to the list of things to investigate more thoroughly when I get back (starting Sept 3rd).

There are no newer revisions of the wireless firmware than 3, and it's not likely to need an update to fix this issue.

Cheers,
    -A

10. Greg Crawford

Hi Adam,

I hope you had a good vacation!

Presumably you returned safely and are back at work now, so I am wondering whether you have been able to make any progress with the wireless issue and the asynchronous operation within MaxIm DL.

Greg

11. Adam Robichaud

Hi Greg, I did have a good vacation! Thank you very much.

I haven't had a chance to investigate the issue just yet (my inbox was particularly full) but I'm gearing up to start that investigation shortly. Please note:
    - I've performed some changes to the low-level networking interface in DLAPI (the API that controls Aluma cameras) so I suspect the next release of DLAPI/the DL Imaging plugin will see some improvement in the camera's stability/operation.
    - The dropdown in the setup dialog is mostly to show you which camera was selected via DL Config. The plugin has automatic detection algorithms it defaults to when no camera is selected in the DL Config window, so there shouldn't be any issues if you're just running the one camera.

Please stay tuned for more info as it becomes available.
    -A

12. Greg Crawford

Hi Adam,
    Stilling staying tuned. Any progress yet?

13. Adam Robichaud

We're gearing up for a MaxIm DL release that should contain improvements to that interface very, very soon. If you'd like to beta test it, I may be able to get you some binaries if you can make a computer available via TeamViewer with access to your camera.

14. Greg Crawford

Adam, can you be a bit more specific? At the moment the camera is off the OTA and the OTA is off the mount. Thus, if you need me to test tracking on a real star I will need to put it together again. "Binaries"? I also have an AO8, if that still needs beta testing. If aiming at actual sky conditions, don't forget my location (eastern Australia) and time zone - currently daylight saving time at 11 hours ahead of UTC.

15. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I'll jump in before Adam gets to work...
    "Binaries" = the executable program code of 1's and 0's that makes up MaxIm DL and thecamera drivers etc. As compared to having a nice fancy installer that does everything for you, when you get "binaries" then you have to manually copy them into places like c:\program files(x86)\MaxIm DL 6 and that sort of thing.

The update for the AO-8A is also part of the work we've done.

I think Adam will want you to test the WiFi improvements first, and that can be done on the workbench. The AO stuff second.

16. Adam Robichaud

Sorry about the confusion Greg, Colin's assessment is correct; though we're nearing the start of beta testing for AO functionality with the Aluma camera, and if you're interested in testing that as well, I can add you to the list of beta testers as soon as we're ready.

-A

17. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member