Image Abnormality - Flats 8300

Discussion in 'Aluma CCD Series' started by Jason Handel, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Jason Handel

Jason Handel Standard User

Team,

I have noticed the following edge defects across multiple filters, particularly seems to occur with shorter exposures, like Flat Frames. Any idea what this is or remedy ? I have not noticed on long light frames.... Maybe related to light leakage ?

Attached Files:

2. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

It looks like frost.

-Bill

3. Tim

Tim Staff Member

I agree..sure looks like frost. Has the camera been opened or the desiccant plug removed?

Can you please provide the serial number written on the camera?

4. Jason Handel

Thanks for reviewing these images. The frost idea makes sense as it seems to happen soon after camera connection, which is usually when I do my flats.

I have not opened the camera, nor have I removed the dessicant plug. The serial number is AL8300M18081401

5. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Have you tried recharging the desiccant plug as described in the camera users manual, Appendix C-2 (page 47)?

6. Jason Handel

Tim, The desiccant plug doesn't seem to remove as described in the manual. As I turn the plug cap 90 degrees CCW (or at least what I suspect is the plug cap as I don't see an image in the users manual that specifically calls it out) the cap just seems to spin freely in either direction and does not seem to engage for release... I am concerned about trying to 'pry it out' so wanted to check before applying any force.

7. Jason Handel

My apologies, I found a picture describing the plug in the Specifications document, which indicated locked position. I will try the procedure and report back. Thanks.