STX Guider failure

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Martin Pugh, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Martin Pugh

Martin Pugh Cyanogen Customer

Colin...I think this is bad news. I attached the aforementioned STi, I held the camera in my hand and took an image. Watched the shutter open/close but the image was the same and with the same ADU.

This suggests the camera electronics are at fault? Please advise.

Martin

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I assume you mean "Remote Guide Head".

Looking more closely at the FITS image, the noise level seems low. I'm suspecting the guide chip A/D converter is working but for some reason is not getting any signal from the CCD sensor. Since the cables are built into the RGH you definitely swapped the cable. That is suggesting a hardware failure in the camera.

Double-check with CCDOPS - and make doubly sure it has selected the external guide chip.

If that is a hardware fault, that is definitely NOT a common failure mode! You seem to have the worst luck.

What is the serial number on the camera?

3. Martin Pugh

Yes, been liasing with Bill behind the scenes. Looks like the 16803 has to come in. I tested the STi on a STXL 11002 and it works fine, so definitely the main camera.

SN X20020007 still under warranty.

4. Martin Pugh

Yes, I suppose I mean RGH.....Its the HDMI version of the STi. I have since tested that RGH on a STXL11002 and it works fine. I am now going to plug the STX Guider into the same STXL11002. If it works, then definitely the 16803 has a problem.

5. Martin Pugh

"You seem to have the worst luck."

...and yet here I am looking at a $430 shipping charge, to include insurance, on a camera still under warranty.

Will you refund that when the camera is returned and you find that the on board electronics have some how failed? i.e this is not a user induced failure?

6. Martin Pugh

I can now confirm that the STX Guider works when connected to a different camera.

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The ST-I is a USB camera. I think you mean RGH remote guide head.

8. Martin Pugh

Yes I do, as Doug as already wasted time pointing that out to me. You know exactly what I mean. But I see you guys have nothing to say about the fee I need to pay to return a camera to you that is under warranty? And to think I was actually going to buy the Aluma AC4040 to replace the STXL11002 on my CDK17. I must be mad.

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Don Whiteman at Bintel has been in touch. We'd like him to have a look at the camera and guiding filter wheel before it makes a trip to us.

10. Martin Pugh

What? Guiding filter wheel? Where did you get that from? This entire thread is about what was thought to be a defective STX Guider. I have proven that it works, by connecting it to an STXL11002.

11. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Sorry, should have been "guider, filter wheel". What's happened here is that not all of us are in the loop together, and there is a lag in email. I'll let Doug run with it from here.

12. Doug

Doug Staff Member

First thing, I'd closely inspect the "HDMI" connector on the camera. Make sure it isn't damaged. If you plug a cable into it, it should be firmly held in place - you shouldn't be able to wiggle it up and down.