Aluma 694 disconnecting from MaximDL

Discussion in 'Aluma CCD Series' started by Paul Haese, Dec 2, 2020.

1. roger baylon

roger baylon Cyanogen Customer

Adam,
    Thanks for helping with my Aluma 694 and for installing the beta driver (back in December). I have running with this driver now for over two months under Maxim DL and ACP.
    Almost every night, I have the same result. The Aluma 694, Maxim, and ACP work fine for between 2 and 3 hours, and then the camera disconnects. Is there a way to improve this? Perhaps with further changes to the Beta drive? Or a new driver?
    Again. I appreciate your help.
    Roger

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

3. roger baylon

Hi Colin,
    Thanks for this link. I actually found last night that you had given this advice in the past. And I am sure that--at that time--I had religiously checked your power management device and followed all the recommendations.
    BUT - when I checked last night, the windows power management setting were NOT the ones you recommended.
    Maybe a windows update wiped out the proper power management settings? I think you may have warned about this windows update risk in the past?
    I will try tonight to see what happens! Wish me luck!
    Warmly, Roger

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You really need to check your settings after every Windows Update. Microsoft is notorious for oh-so-helpfully resetting all kinds of settings to their defaults.

5. roger baylon

Hello Doug,
    Thanks for emphasizing Colin's advice. Last night, I corrected the Windows USB selective suspend and other settings as Colin suggested.

As a result, Maxim DL with ACP performed smoothly for almost 7 hours instead of having the camera disconnect after about 2 hours. This is a huge improvement.

I will continue to test, and hopefully verify that correcting the windows setting make such a dramatic difference.
    Roger

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Roger - one other tip - Saving the Windows power plan sometimes helps prevent a few of these changes. I've not been able to nail down exactly what does/does not get preserved.

7. Paul Haese

Paul Haese Cyanogen Customer

BTW this still happens even with latest updates. Yaah.

8. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

I need driver logs that capture the disconnect in order to properly understand what the driver's doing to lead to the disconnect. If the application is crashing, I need a crash dump. I need to know what you need to do after a disconnect to re-establish communication with the camera.

9. Tim Povlick

Tim Povlick Cyanogen Customer

10. Paul Haese

Paul Haese Cyanogen Customer

I'll look into getting this sorted. I think Colin setup a crash dump last year when the system was in an observatory. Now it is out in my back yard but still doing the same thing. We might be able to do some testing later in the week when the weather is better here. The scope is not in an observatory but under a cover at present. Hence timing will need to be critical.