Sky X/MDL Guiding script

Discussion in 'Forum and Web Site Issues' started by Robert Hughes, May 13, 2023.

1. Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes Cyanogen Customer

Setting up a new W/11 computer and want to use MDl to guide through SkyX to a Paramount ME. Setting up the guider settings for ASCOM Direct and having installed ASCOM Telescope Driver for The Sky and checking all the appropriate check box's, in the MDL guider settings, I get a message that says " The SkyX was selected but it does not appear to be installed or configured for scripting". I'm lost at this point! How do I fix this issue in order to have MDL guide via SkyX?? I see that SkyX does have under "Tools" a window called JAVA SCRIPT! Maybe the issue is with this part of SkyX!!?? Can either Doug or Colin help me with this? Would appreciate as I would like to get back to imaging again. Thanks, Bob Hughes, Cave Creek, AZ.

2. William B

William B Cyanogen Customer

Hi Robert.

You just need to run one-time-only both TheSkyX and MaxIm Dl “As Administrator” so that both applications scripting interfaces are registered with Windows.

To do that, mouse-right-click the desktop shortcut or application menu shortcut for each application individually and from the pop-up menu select “Run as Administrator”.
    After TheSkyX has started wait a few minutes for all background tasks to complete and then close TheSkyX again, repeat the same steps with MaxIm Dl.

After this one-time operation you should never need to start either application using “Run as Administrator” again.

Note that if you are up-to-date with TheSkyX software you will now have both 32bit and 64bit versions of TheSkyX installed and you need to perform the “Run as Administrator” start-up on the bit version of TheSkyX that you intend to run in conjunction with MaxIm.

As you are commissioning a new computer make sure to read the help documents linked below describing how to prevent Windows shutting down the USB ports after a period of inactivity as a power saving feature and causing cameras and mounts etc to disconnect at random.

https://forum.diffractionlimited.co...connects-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend.7848/

https://forum.diffractionlimited.co...spend-re-enabled-in-windows-update-1909.6546/

P.S. As you are a registered customer you have access to the Cyanogen Software (Registered Customers Only) forum where you will find the sub-forum for MaxIm Dl, I expect that your topic and this reply will be moved there by the moderator as this sub-forum is not used for specific MaxIm Dl queries.

HTH

William.

Last edited: May 14, 2023
  3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

4. Robert Hughes

Hi Colin: thanks for the reply. What is "TSX"???
    Also, I have been trying to find information on settings for the Guide settings "Advanced" window. There you can set Minimum, Maximum and Delay for guiding. Looks like defaults are .o1 sec. for X-Y Minimum and 2.0sec. for X-Y Maximum with a delay of .1 sec.
    I'm using a ZWO Mini Guide Scope (120mm) and an Orion Mini Guide camera on a C14/Hyperstar (560mm). I guide using the SkyX ASCOM driver for pulse/direct guiding. If you could let me know what I should use for the "Advanced" settings. I would appreciate it.

Bob

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

TSX = TheSky X.
    Guiding performance is a function of your mount.

Calibration settings are more important. You want the biggest L shape you can get, without going off the field of view.
    https://cdn.diffractionlimited.com/help/maximdl/Autoguider_Settings.htm

Details of the Advanced settings are here: https://cdn.diffractionlimited.com/help/maximdl/Advanced_Settings.htm
    The default values are reasonable. Should be fine for your Paramount ME, especially if it is well maintained and properly aligned.

Also make sure your ASCOM driver for the Paramount is set correctly. Here's a sample. You might need to change some settings (like disabling DirectGuide or disabling sync prevention, if you don't use TPoint):
    ascom_tsx_pme.png

6. Robert Hughes

Thanks a bunch Colin!!