!6803 Camera fails to connect

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Dale Mais, Jul 29, 2023.

1. Dale Mais

Dale Mais Cyanogen Customer

Tonight my 16803 camera failed to connect to the computer via internet cable through a router. Since I got the camera around 5 years ago it has worked fine this way. It worked fine just a few weeks ago. Nothing has changed since a few weeks ago. But I should point out the serial port connection seemed to fail after about 6 months having the camera, but internet connection worked fine.

The camera turns on OK. but light on the router fails to blink like its active. Here is what I tried:

Swapped ports on the router, same thing no blinking light.
    Changed internet cable same thing, no light no connection.
    Different computer made no difference.

The message I get is: "Error opening camera in dual chip mode. Open device failure 34"

Any thoughts

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Do you mean an Ethernet cable between the camera and an Ethernet network switch or Ethernet LAN (Local area network) jack on an internet router?
    Or do you mean something else?

Normally it is wired like something this:

Camera Ethernet port -> CAT 5e network cable #1 -> Ethernet Switch / Router Local Area Network jack #1.
    Ethernet Switch jack #2 -> CAT 5e network cable #2 -> PC

The camera has an Ethernet port. There is a green light and a yellow light near the bottom of the Ethernet port. Does either one come on? Normally at least the green light will come on when it's cable is successfully conneted to the Ethenet network switch/router.
    If no lights, change the cable, try a different ethernet port or switch (Although you said you tried that).
    You want to have the link light come on - showing that the camera network connection is sucessful.

If you don't get link light, then either the cable, router, or camera is damaged. Likely causes are lightning, power surges, rodents chewing, insects, and corrosion or dirt.

If you do get a link light, fo you know the IP address of the camera?
    Can you Ping the camera?
    e.g. If you are on Windows, open a command prompt, and run this command:
    ping 192.168.0.100
    where the 192.168.0.100 is the IP address of the camera. You may have a different IP address set.
    Does it respond?

There is no "serial port" on the camera. I have no idea what you mean. There is an I2C Auxiliary port for connecting accessories, and it definitely is NOT an RS-232C serial port, and hooking up serial devices to it will damage the camera.

Perhaps you mean the USB port? (It's roughly square with a white center).
    You should have had it repaired back then.

So, if you can't get a link light, therefore it can't electrically connect to the network switch, it won't be be able to respond to a ping or the computer commands. In this case, it will need to come in for a repair.
    Try my suggestions, and if that doesn't resolve it, I'll send you an email for repair.

3. Dale Mais

Dale Mais Cyanogen Customer

Yes this is what I have that I have used for years:

Camera Ethernet port -> CAT 5e network cable #1 -> Ethernet Switch / Router Local Area Network jack #1.
    Ethernet Switch jack #2 -> CAT 5e network cable #2 -> PC

Just checked, no yellow or green light are on when I power up or try to connect. tried again a different port, nothing. I had already tried different cable, no success

I pinged the camera at its ip address of 192.168.0.101, I only get a "Unreachable response" in return.

Yes I did mean USB post , sorry.

So it appears repairs are in order.

Thanks

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Email sent with RMA repair info.