AC4040 Camera Unexpectedly Disconnects when Taking HDR Frame

Discussion in 'Aluma AC Series CMOS' started by Greg Nelson, Jul 8, 2024.

1. Greg Nelson

Greg Nelson Cyanogen Customer

Sorry to hear about the COVID, but thanks for doing a test. When I get the camera back, I'll install the files your sent and let you know if that solves the problem on my end. Thanks and get well soon!

2. Mark Marfoglia

Mark Marfoglia Cyanogen Customer

I have a similar issue with my AC4040BSI, which disconnects unexpectantly.
    At the beginning of the night, while taking short exposures for focusing it craps out. Once I power cycle it once (can’t warm it though) it works fine afterwards. It does this every night, and it worries me because I have to kill the power while it is still cooling.
    Should I be trying your new drivers?

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Mark,
    Try this: https://forum.diffractionlimited.co...connects-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend.7848/
    I expect that will cure it.
    If not, then see my other comment to you about driver versions.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Don't worry too much about thermal cycling. The chip does not instantaneously warm up when you kill the power - the cooler stack has significant thermal inertia. Power loss also happens to remove the biggest heat source from the stack, which is the CMOS electronics in the sensor.

5. Mark Marfoglia

Mark Marfoglia Cyanogen Customer

Thank you both for this info. I had done the USB « fix » but not the COM one. I will try this out.

6. Greg Nelson

Greg Nelson Cyanogen Customer

Adam, got the camera back and tested ran last night. Had a successful run so it's back to functioning again.

I dropped in the file as you instructed, restarted, cycled power, and then opened Maxim 7.03 and connected to camera. I took a 1 sec exposure of Low Gain, High Gain, And High Gain StackPro with no issues. But, no joy, when I took the HDR image the camera did exactly as before. First the AO-Z window and log window title bars changed color. Then these two windows disappeared and I got the error message window with message Camera disconnected unexpectedly (-4).

I recycled power, restarted, and did the same procedure a second time and got the same thing. Looks like somewhere I have a software issue that is preventing me from taking HDR images.

One other note, when I run DLConfig (x64) I get this report

Curious that is does not show a different version number for dlapi.dll after I copy the file you sent into the System32 folder.

dlapi.dll ......................... 2.8.0.0
    DLAPIWrapper.dll .................. 2.8.0.0
    ASCOM.DLImaging.Camera.dll ........ 6.4.22.0
    ASCOM.DLImaging.CameraExt.dll ..... 6.4.22.0
    ASCOM.DLImaging.FilterWheel.dll ... 6.4.22.0
    ftd2xx.dll ........................ 3.2.16.1
    ftd3xx.dll ........................ 1.3.0.4
    wpcap.dll ......................... Not Installed
    packet.dll ........................ Not Installed

Last edited: Oct 8, 2024