Aluma 8300 gives occasional blank image

Discussion in 'Aluma CCD Series' started by Greg Crawford, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

We need auto-dark turned OFF (right click the [>] button on the expose tab, and uncheck it), and a simple Dark, Bias, and Light frame from the guider camera.
    Basically, we need the unprocessed images to figure out what is going on here.
    Thanks. Get some sleep. We can accomodate your schedule.

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Greg - we are starting to think it may be a hardware problem and that the guider camera will need to come in for service.
    To figure this out, we have one more test.
    We need you to do a BIAS frame on the guider, and the guider has to be completely dark - covered, in a blackbox, no light leaks etc.
    Once we have that FITS, then we can have a look and see if this is something we can adjust remotely or if it needs to be repaired.

3. Greg Crawford

Greg Crawford Cyanogen Customer

OK, I'll do that as soon as I get time (probably later today). One thought I had was to check the position of the guide chip in the filter wheel. It is adjustable (or at least it was with the previous STT arrangement). I just connected the filter wheel as is when I received it.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, thanks. We really need to see that bias frame.

5. Greg Crawford

OK, here it is. I could probably go to greater lengths to put the camera in complete darkness, but I'll be guided by you. This image was taken by unchecking the "dual camera mode" and accessing the guider as Camera 2. The exposure time was set at 0.01, as I could not see any way to select a bias frame.

The image? Curiouser and couriouser. A light leak? Internal light source? I will leave it to you guys to figure this one out. Additional notes: I have an AO8 screwed onto the front.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Greg, that's a SIMULATOR image again.
    Here's what you need to do:
    Dual chip enabled.
    Select Camera 2 on the expose tab.
    Frame Type = Bias.
    bias_camera2.png
    (I posted at 7:53am my time).

7. Greg Crawford

Ah, sorry! I resumed testing without changing that back. I'm afraid the bias frame looks no different. See attached.

Attached Files:

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Thank you.
    Are you running the camera off of the original AC power pack?

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Greg, can we get TeamViewer going?
    I'm convinced that there's a little bit of operator fatigue at work here - I know what its like when I am tired.
    Send me a private message when you have TeamViewer up, and then provide the partner ID and password in it, and I will sign in.
    Also in the PM, perhaps you could give me a phone number that I could call you at.

10. Greg Crawford

Yes, although I don't think the mini DIN plug is very secure. A feather touch can result in it losing power. However, I can usually hear the fan go off when that happens.
    I have the interface for Team Viewer up on the screen. In the left column it has "Your ID and a password, then the right column has Partner ID which is blank. Do I make up an ID for you, or what?

11. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Handled via private message.
    @Tim will be in touch with RMA information.
    We will want the entire kit - Aluma 8300, FW8G-Aluma, AO-8A, power supply, HDMI cable, any other related stuff.

12. Tim

Tim Staff Member

These blank frames are similar to what I see in frames when the HDMI cable is not plugged in all the way. Ensure it is all the way plugged in and secure.

I will send your RMA details momentarily via PM.

13. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Tim -there's a whole other history on this one... Greg is well beyond swapping HDMI cables.

14. Tim

Tim Staff Member

One other thing you can try to eliminate the camera as the potential cause. Unplug the HDMI cable from the camera (leave MaxIm DL setup for 2 cameras), and then take a bias frame with camera 2. You should see a autoguider bias frame with a median ADU value of ~1000. If you see the lines on the image still, it is likely the camera that is the cause. If no lines, it is likely the guided filter wheel.