Resolved Aluma8300/FW/SC-2 fail to connect using MaxIm DL 6.24

Discussion in 'Aluma CCD Series' started by Anthony King, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Anthony King

Anthony King Cyanogen Customer

I am not able to connect the Cameras:
    I have:
    DL Imaging Config Driver 1.19.1.0
    Aluma Firmware 21
    SC-2 Firmware 6

I get the following log:

23:36:05*1 MaxIm DL Version 6.24 started on EAGLE3S0229
    23:37:25*3 Connecting cameras - thread ID 5444
    23:37:29$3 Connected to camera 1 "DL Imaging" (CCDPlugDLImaging.dll v6.23.3.0)
    23:37:31$3 Connected to camera 2 "DL Imaging" (CCDPlugDLImaging.dll v6.23.3.0)
    23:37:31#3 Failed to connect to filter wheel 1 "DL Imaging+FW" (CCDPlugDLImaging.dll), error 99987
    23:37:31$3 Disconnected from camera 2 "DL Imaging"
    23:37:32$3 Disconnected from camera 1 "DL Imaging"
    23:37:32$14 DLImaging: OpenCamera(): Querying for cameras
    23:37:32$14 DLImaging: Attempting to Connect to camera with S/N 687079425 ... [Success::USB]
    23:37:32$14 DLImaging: Attempting to Connect to camera with S/N 687079425 ... [Success::USB]
    23:37:32$14 DLImaging: Retry 1/3 :: Encountered an API error (7)
    Client Error :: Invalid Parameter
    23:37:41$14 DLImaging: Aluma Camera Flag State: 0
    23:37:41$14 DLImaging: Retry 1/3 :: Encountered an API error (7)
    Client Error :: Invalid Parameter
    23:37:41$14 DLImaging: OpenCamera(): Querying for cameras
    23:37:41$14 DLImaging: Attempting to Connect to camera with S/N 688521219 ... [Success::USB]
    23:37:41$14 DLImaging: Attempting to Connect to camera with S/N 688521219 ... [Success::USB]
    23:37:50$14 DLImaging: Aluma Camera Flag State: 0
    23:37:50#5 Error - SetMinExposure: Min Exposure time could not be set for your camera.
    Error in camera plugin callback 520
    23:37:50#5 Error - SetMinExposure: Min Exposure time could not be set for your camera.
    Error in guide camera plugin callback 520

I need some help to find the setting to fix this problem.

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Anthony,
    Is this a new install, or a new problem on an existing system?

With the power off, have you checked the cabling to ensure that the filter cable is correctly plugged into the camera body?
    Does the filter wheel spin on power up or on connect?

It looks like you may have accidentally selected the Aluma main camera twice.
    To simplify, just set up Camera 1, the main camera and it's filter wheel, NO Camera 2 eg no SC-2 guider, and make sure that runs.

After that is working, then in Setup for Camera 2, Advanced, make sure you select the SC2 (it will have a 1300 in its serial number).
    It should have a * beside it when selected.
    That should do it.

3. Anthony King

Thank you for responding. It is a new system. I powered down and rechecked the filter wheel connector on the Aluma. Filter Wheel is not rotating on start up, only a single noise comes from it. Went back and selected no camera 2. Same message. Selected no filter wheel and the Aluma connected and can take an image. The advanced screen has the SC-2 listed first and Alima8300 has an asterisk? see the Prt Scn uploaded.
    Everything was working somewhat prior to Friday. I have been working through getting the guider and AO calibrated and ready for imaging.

Attached Files:

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The * indicates which of the cameras is selected.
    It's possible to have many cameras on one PC now, so we use the * to indicate which one is selected.

Camera Control Window - Setup Tab
    Below Camera 1 is an [OPTIONS] button. Click that.

Check that the Threading options are turned on. You'll want to do this for both Camera 1 and Camera 2 when you set it up again.
    See below - circled in green:
    threading.png

If these were off, turn them on, then for the FW, set it to DL Imaging +FW, make sure it is associating with the AL8300 *, and try again, see if FW responds.

If the FW does not respond, let's move on to getting the SC-2 going.
    Below Camera 2 is the [SETUP] button. Click that.
    Select Camera Model = DL Imaging
    Below that is the AO option, specify that AO is on Sensor 2 (I'm pretty sure that is it, but I may be wrong - I don't have hardware here in front of me to double check).
    Then Advanced, and then select the SC1300 by clicking it (you might have to click it twice in the list). You should see the * beside it now.

Below Camera 2 is an [OPTIONS] button. Click that.
    Let me know how it goes.

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The * indicates which of the cameras is selected.
    It's possible to have many cameras on one PC now, so we use the * to indicate which one is selected.

Below Camera 1 is an [OPTIONS] button. Click that.

Check that the Threading options are turned on. You'll want to do this for both Camera 1 and Camera 2 when you set it up again.
    See below - circled in green:
    View attachment 8538

If these were off, turn them on, then for the FW, set it to DL Imaging +FW, make sure it is associating with the AL8300 *, and try again, see if FW responds.

If the FW does not respond, let's move on to getting the SC-2 going.
    Below Camera 2 is the [SETUP] button. Click that.
    Select DL Imaging, and specify that it has AO.
    Then Advanced, and then select the SC1300 by clicking it (you might have to click it twice in the list).

Below Camera 2 is an [OPTIONS] button. Click that.

6. Anthony King

Thanks Colin,
    I went back through it. disconnect and
    1) Select Camera 1 = Aluma, FW = No filter, Aluma connects and can take image.
    2) Select Camera 1 = Aluma, FW = DL imaging + FW, Connection fails.
    3) Camera 1 = Aluma, FW = no Filter, Camera 2 = SC-2, both cameras connect and can take image, AO windows open.
    4) Camera 1 = Aluma, FW = DL imaging + FW, Camera 2 = SC-2, connection fails.

Attached the PrtScn of the tab.

Can I test Aluma i2c ports by remove power and connect AO to Camera 1 to see if Aluma sees the AO unit?

Attached Files:

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Yes you could try that.
    Also check the pins aren't broken or crushed on the filter wheel cable that plugs into the camera.

8. Anthony King

Hi Colin,
    So I tested the Aluma ports with the AO unit and in both cases the exercise function worked. So I disassembled the camera stack and opened the filter wheel. I found the pigtail lifted of the pins of the connector. I noticed that the cable tie that should act as the strain relief was note tightened enough to grip the pigtail. I pulled about .2 inches to snug it up, reassembled and all seems to be working now.
    I will be working on possibly running the cameras via the SkyX, if I can get the Ascom drivers sorted.
    Thanks for you help so far.

9. Anthony King

Picture of strain relief.

Attached Files:

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Glad to hear this is resolved.
    I will pass the info on to our manufacturing team.

11. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Anthony,

Can you provide the serial number of the filter wheel? It will help our investigation into the loose strain relief.

Doug