AOX settings- general question

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by Dave, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Dave

Dave Standard User

I'm just curious what folks are doing with settings like slew rate and aggressiveness or any other settings that have significantly made any difference in guide accuracy. I'm finding so far the only thing that seems to matter is making sure your frequency is as high as possible i.e. need a bright guide star, super short exposures like 0.1 sec. Beyond that, just like with regular guiding, it seems that seeing is really the main thing that affects the result.
    Thanks
    Dave

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Since AO corrections are far more accurate than telescope mount corrections, and the update rate is higher, the aggressiveness is much less important. It will always converge pretty quickly, as long as it is stable.

I agree that update rate is a very important parameter.

3. Dave

Dave Standard User

Couple of follow-up questions. How high a frequency is possible and/or what is the fastest exposure I can do with an STX guider (camera set up is 16803-STX-AOX)?
    Thanks
    Dave

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You may be able to do 10 Hz. There are a lot of variables involved. Optimum speed requires a decent computer, bright guide star, small track box, and short exposure.