Backfocus Question with a focal reducer

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by vinifera, Sep 15, 2021.

1. vinifera

vinifera Cyanogen Customer

Would appreciate a bit of help here getting the backfocus setup right.

here's the imaging train: Meade LX200 GPS(SCT) - Moonlight Focuser - AO8 - SC2 - FW8 8300 - STF8300M

So where would the focal reducer go in this setup? Meade 6.3 FR.

The moonlight focuser can house the FR, but that puts the optimal focus point just at the back of the AO8.

If threaded onto the nose of the AO8 then the focal point is within the FW8.

If I could attach it between the AO8 and the SC2, then I could potentially use barrel adapters/rings between it and the FW8 (with the 48mm adapter) to adjust the distance.

So what I'm thinking is: Meade Lx200 GPS - Moonlight focuser - AO8 - FR - SC2 - FW8 8300 - STF8300M.

1. Thoughts on this, or is there a more optimal location within the train (ie between the SC2 and FW8300 - worried about trying to focus both pickoff mirror and STF8300).
    2. Anyone have a similar image train and pix of how it's set up.
    3. Concerns over reducing the image on the SC2 pickoff mirror.
    4. If the FR has to go after the AO8, is there an adapter for this? looks like 2.156" x 24tpi male to FR male (not certain of thread size, but based on barrel that normally goes into FR, measures about 10mm before reaching the female threads).
    5. Alternative setups/focal reducers.

Open to all and any suggestions, thoughts, etc.

Thanks!

2. mike m benjamin

mike m benjamin Cyanogen Customer

You should really consider getting the Optec 0.62, much better quality with more back focus than the Meade 6.3. The Optec specifies 105mm back focus but my experience is 102/103mm is best. I have successfully used the Optec mounted in a Moonlight 2.5"-Self guided filter wheel- STT8300m.