CFW-10 misalinging filters

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Nick P, May 22, 2021.

1. Nick P

Nick P Standard User

Hi,
    Recently my CFW-10 filter wheel has been slightly misaligning the position of the filters. Specifically, dust motes on the Luminance filter do not line up and therefore do not properly calibrate out. The alignment is close, but a little different each time the wheel turns. I have opened up the wheel and everything looks OK. Before going further, I’d appreciate advice on what I should be checking.

Thanks!

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

There's an optical position sensor that lights up the tabs/pins on the carousel at each position. Check that it is clean, and that the circuit board is firmly seated/screwed down.
    If that's not it, then you'll need to contact our repair wizard @Bill bill (at) sbig (dot) com to see if he can help fix it.

3. Nick P

Nick P Standard User

Thank you Colin! I removed the circuit board and the position sensor. Everything was firm and clean, except for a few specks of dust on the housing for the optical sensor. I removed the specks with some compressed air and made sure that the position holes in the carousel were unobstructed. I had sent the wheel to Bill 6 years ago to repair the cable that connects the wheel to the camera and know that he does great work. We are really fortunate to have someone who can repair our outdated equipment.

I will test everything tomorrow and see if there is an improvement. I have an unused CFW-9 for backup if needed.

Nick