Resolved DL ASCOM Installer problem

Discussion in 'Aluma AC Series CMOS' started by Eric Dose, May 23, 2023.

1. Eric Dose

Eric Dose Cyanogen Customer

I just tried twice to install the DL ASCOM drivers on my Win 10 Pro scope PC, and got an error "Unable to register the DLL/OCX". Rebooting the PC first had no effect. I had no trouble installing them on a second PC to bench test my new AC 4040 camera, but the scope PC--no luck.

Any ideas? DL ASCOM fail.png

EDIT: I notice that the driver says x64 (64-bit) but the registration failure was RegSvr32 in WINDOWS\system32 (32-bit?). Seems like a conflict. I still need a suggestion--I'm driving a few hours to install the camera tonight.

Last edited: May 23, 2023
  2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Are you using an account that has Administrator group membership? (NOT run as administrator).

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Eric, besides confirming if
    a) your account has Admin group membership
    b) which OS are you running? e.g. Windows 10 Professional 64-bit ? (you didnt say 64 or 32bit OS)
    c) which ASCOM version e.g. 6.6. SP1

Last edited: May 23, 2023
  4. Eric Dose

Hi, Colin,

The scope PC runs Win 10 Pro x64, ASCOM etc is up to date, and the pc has no groups and almost never runs Admin privilege (I will double-check all this tomorrow).

I am at the observatory (scope lift was today), and will retry the ASCOM drivers tomorrow. Happily the camera and guider now work fine within the scope PC's MaxIm DL, so I am optimistic about the ASCOM drivers.

5. Eric Dose

OK, you were right, it was my own blunder--my ASCOM was back at 6.4 SP1. After updating ASCOM to 6.6 SP1, all seems well, so let's call this resolved. First light on new scope & camera should be tonight.

I will suggest that the instructions for updating to new DL drivers (top sticky post in AC CMOS forum) could call out the dependency on the ASCOM version 6.6 SP1.

In any case, thanks for the hint to update.

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member