Error log check following session shutdown

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Dave, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Dave

Dave Standard User

I think the camera is fine but just wanted someone to check this error log following a spontaneous remote session shutdown which did occur during an exposure. I don't see anything myself but I am certainly no expert at interpreting these. I'm using a 16200 with The Sky X. All drivers and software are current. All usb settings are optimized.
    Thanks
    Dave

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Dave we can't tell much from that... can you fill us in on the details?
    What are you using?
    e.g. an STXL-16200 with ??? filter wheel? guider?
    on what mount, with what scope ?
    What OS? I suspect you're on Windows 8, obsolete operating system.
    What version and daily build of TheSky X ?
    What were you doing at the time?
    Is TSX doing the imaging, or is MaxIm being used?

I see no errors in the log per se, but I don't see much going on in there..

3. Dave

Dave Standard User

Thanks Colin. No actually it is Windows 10. I have posted the CCDap log which shows when the error occurs and the system shuts down. I have seen variations of this before and it's usually a TSX or occasionally a windows or usb thing. Just wanted to check to make sure there was nothing with the camera operation. TSX is the current 32 bit version 13096. Not using Maxim. Just TSX. I also have an STXL FW8G self guiding filter wheel, Paramount MX+

Attached Files:

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Thanks for the CCDAP log.

It seems there may be a hardware problem with the filter wheel.

There's one error in the CCDAP log:
    23:36:07 I:TI1, TheSkyX.ccdsoftCamera says Error code = 31004 (791c). No additional information is available.
    That corresponds to a filter wheel motor timeout.
    In other words, the filter wheel was commanded to move to a particular slot, and it didn't do it.
    Usual causes are related to the sensor that detects the position of the wheel - the home position and the individual filter slots.
    This can be caused by dirt on the sensor, a loose/mis-positioned sensor, a loose / stretched / worn drive belt or other problem.

I'd recommend you open it up and have a look at it, see if you have any dirt, insects, or loose screws.
    If nothing obvious, close it up, and then test it.

To test it, download CCDOPs, and use the filter wheel exerciser function to put it through its paces.
    You can find CCDOps here:
    https://cdn.diffractionlimited.com/downloads/InstOps.exe
    cfw_exerciser.png
    If it is failing, then I suggest you get it in to @Bill for service. You can mail him: bill (at) sbig (dot) com

Other recommendations:
    1) Update to ASCOM Platform 6.5 SP1
    It is the current level of ASCOM, and includes the necessary updates for earth orbit/time variations etc.

2) Configuration errors:
    It looks like the parameters of your hardware are incorrect in the software setup.
    When I see stuff like this, it's usually worth having a look to see what the whole setup it like to make sure there are no errors.

a) Wrong camera
    I'm looking at your log, and the instrument field says its an STXL6303, but you're saying its an STXL-16200.
    INSTRUME: SBIG STXL-6303 3 CCD Camera

b) Binning ?
    I was expecting 4500 x 3600, and see this instead, so maybe you're binning 2x2, but the binning value isn't listed, so maybe this part is correct?
    Imager dimensions: 2250x1800

c) Guide sensor size and focal length seems odd
    With an STXL-16200 and FW8G-STXL self guiding filter wheel, I would expect to see the guide sensor to be 7.4um, and a different focal length (0.7x times 530mm the main camera focal length due to the focal reducer lens in the self-guiding fw).
    Guide method: Off-Axis Guided
    Pixel size: 10.55
    Focal Length: 530

Maybe this is 7.4 / 0.7 = 10.57, rounded?

Good luck!

5. Dave

Dave Standard User

Ok great thanks! Does it show in the documentation where exactly the sensor is located?
    Dave

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Dave - I was just talking with @Bill about this. The sensor is a magnetic device, not an optical device on that filter wheel, and is located on the green circuit board under the filter wheel. It's probably best to arrange to get it in to Bill.