Firmware Rev 14 issues.

Discussion in 'Aluma AC Series CMOS' started by Greg Nelson, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

To close the loop:
    - Greg's DLAPI and MaxIm installs are indeed up to date, and the firmware file he got from the website was properly checksummed against our records.
    - The FW7 takes 30 seconds to do 7-slot moves (which is fairly typical).
    - We observed Greg's hanging issues in ac4040_fpga_rev14.bit first-hand, where the camera would be stuck waiting for FW in MaxIm.
    - During that time, cycling power to the camera did not reliably resolve the issue: hinting either that the failure was occurring in initialization as well, or there's some hardware fault that persists the error state across power cycles.
    - We observed the FW moving, pausing, then moving again for as little as 1 slot moves and as many as 7 slot moves. I can't confirm the filter wheel was in the correct slot after each move.
    - Initially after upload of rev14, the camera was functioning normally. It wasn't until a system reboot and some extra imaging that the fault appeared.
    - DLAPI Raw I/O logs show the firmware is indeed reporting the FW as moving indefinitely.

We need to try and reproduce the failure internally to try and rule out a firmware failure, but I also wouldn't rule out a hardware failure at this point.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I have an AC4040 (firmware 14) and an FW7 on my desk currently. I could not reproduce the issue. It may be a hardware failure in the wheel.

3. Greg Nelson

Greg Nelson Cyanogen Customer

Any ideas why the hardware would fail in firmware 14 but none seen in firmware 8 on same wheel? That's the puzzling part on my end.

thanks for help in diagnosing this.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yeah that's the weird part, and the reason why I asked Adam to have a look.

The only difference on the filter wheel side between firmware 8 and firmware 14 is the addition of support for dual AFW wheels. The thing is, that shouldn't impact FW7 at all. And even if there was an issue with dual wheel support, the camera treats them as two completely separate devices. The synchronization between the two wheels is performed on the driver side.

5. Greg Nelson

Ira, would love to connect. I sent you a private message.

Greg

6. Frank R. Santore

Frank R. Santore Cyanogen Customer

following. . . I'll be doing my own tests in mid-January, though with an AFW-10 single. -fs

Greg Nelson likes this.
  7. Greg Nelson

Doug, Adam

I am wondering if I found a relevant issue to my problem using the upgraded firmware rev 14.

In doing some tests to get my scope and guider FOVI recalibrated after installing the inline filter holder, I noticed that there was a device that installs 30-45 seconds after all the other devices when I power on the system. I noticed a device install "chime" sound 30-45 sec after the group of chimes that sounds off almost immediately in the Windows 10 computer when I toggle on the power. I also noticed that if I did not get this late second chime, the camera would not connect and I got a filter wheel not accessible error when I tried to connect the camera in Maxim (version 6.3).

I went into device manager to see if I could identify which device manager was installing late and found that devices SBIG Camera A and SBIG Camera B installed immediately. Then after 30-45 seconds, a device called SBIG Camera installs. I also noted that I went from two entries of SBIG Composite Device to three after the SBIG Camera device installs.

I opened the SBIG Camera Device and saw that the Power Management "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" box was checked. I know that when I set up the system I turned all of those off, so that device looks "new" to me. Camera A and B were unchecked.

I'm running some other tests tonight so I don't want to try to update firmware today, but I am looking to see if there is any chance this might be related to the issues I have with firmware 14.

If not and it is some other hardware problem in the filter wheel, any ideas on what else I might do to diagnose the issue?

8. Frank R. Santore

I updated my AC4040 without drama yesterday. The operation took the advertised 2 minutes to upload, showed the new version 14 in DL Config, then requested a camera power cycling. It required two power cycles as the first did not show the new version. But the camera did operate as expected all night, the AFW10 filter wheel movements were crisp as expected, and none of the prior reported problems were experienced. Looks like I won't be of much value in having the pleasure of contributing to working through the issues.

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Frank - one tip. You have to quit the DL Config Utility after you power off the camera. Then power cycle the camera. Leave it off for a full minute. Power it up. Launch DL Config Utility, and all should be well.

10. Frank R. Santore

Thanks Colin. Very well was the source of my need to double power recycle. I'll be attentive to this in the future.

My session last night after my post was very uneventful relative to the firmware upgrade. However, tonights session that I'm just wrapping up started with Maxim throwing the same filter wheel not found error upon attempting to connect the camera. Additional attempts would produce hanging or the same missing FW message. Inspecting the Device Manager showed an error in loading the SBIG USB Driver. I reran the DL Config app and updated again to v14, and all was fine. Curious that this alternated over two nights of working then not. We will see what tomato brings,

Attached Files:

11. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

12. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Greg, our engineers are comparing firmware version 13 and 14 to determine if there any differences that might account for the behaviour with the AC4040 and FW7-STX.

13. Greg Nelson

Hi,

Its been a while since we connected on this issue. I wanted to see if there are any thoughts on how I can do some experiments to work out this issue I'm having with Rev 14. It seems that my situation was unique at the time and we never resolved things.

14. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

We haven't had any luck finding the root cause yet. The engineer who wrote that code left the company, so we've been fighting several up-hill battles trying to make sense of whether there's something he broke. Apologies for this taking so long!

15. Greg Nelson

Thanks for the reply Adam. If there are any diagnostic experiments we can run, let me know. As the weather gets hotter here, the chip cooler will work harder so I'd really like to see if the new code can eliminate a some of the cooler noise I see.

16. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi @Greg Nelson
    We released an update on Friday May 19 to the DL API Drivers.
    This is recommended for all Aluma and STC cameras.

You can read about it and download here:
    https://forum.diffractionlimited.com/threads/dlapi-2-7-1-0-released.9722/

This addresses a number of issues, including a change to filter wheel handling.

Please install it and test it out.
    Let us know if it resolves the filter wheel issue you've experienced.

If not, we'd like to do a bit more troubleshooting with you.

17. Greg Nelson

Colin, thanks for the note. I will have some time next week to test this update. I will report back what I find.

18. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Thanks @Greg Nelson - another customer has confirmed correct FW7-STX operation with the new DLAPI 2.7.0.0 and downgraded firmware to 5.
    So on our end, we have to look at the firmware changes related to filter wheels that came in 6 and later, and issue new firmware.
    Having a second party confirm this would help.

19. Greg Nelson

Colin, I am running the previous version of DLAPI (the one issued before this latest release) and it runs with Firmware Rev 8 with no issues. I had issues with all other firmware revisions after 8 (the filter wheel would hang on first operation or sometime during an acquisition run). It sounds like I should install the new DLAPA 2.7.1.0 and verify operation with current firmware rev 8, and then install the latest rev 14 firmware to see if I get the same issues with the filter wheel hanging.

20. Greg Nelson

Colin, I installed the DLAPI update yesterday along with the 64bit ASCOM update. I went ahead and installed the Firmware 14 as well, which was hanging the ST7 filter wheel when I tried it previously. I ran through a quick exercise of filter changing with no issues and then ran and ACP sequence last night with 5 different filter acquisitions. I did not experience any filter wheel hangups. We have poor conditions this week here in AZ but I will try to run every night to keep verifying that the issue is resolved. So far so good.