FW8-STXL Filter Install question

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by Steve Young, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Steve Young

Steve Young Standard User

I purchased the FW8G-STXL Serial# 1311 with the Pro 8 Filter set along with the STXL-11002 camera. I installed the filter wheel on the camera, however the included instruction sheet does not describe how to install the filters. It appears that after dropping the filters into the wells, one is supposed to secure them with the included shoulder washers and phillips head screws. While all the Baader filters are stated to be 50.4 mm in diameter on the box and fit in the wells snugly, the R,G and B filters seem to be just a little smaller in diameter and are very loose in the wells. No O-rings or other capture devices were included (as with your STT wheels), so simply securing the shoulder washers leaves the R,G & B filters rattling around in their respective wells. I am wondering what to do, should I have received some o-rings or other bits in order to properly secure the R, G &B filters into the wells? Thanks much, -Steve

Additional note: Just to be clear, the narrowband filters as well as the clear focusing and UV/IR cut filters fit the wells properly and are securely held by the shoulder washers. It is only the R, G and B filters that are ~ 1 mm smaller in diameter and rattle around in their respective wells. It strikes me as odd that the SBIG supplied Baader filters would be of different, albeit modestly, different sizes.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  2. Steve Young

image.jpg
    Sometimes a picture is worth a 1,000 words: In Well 8 is the bader SII narrow band filter in Well 1 to the right is the Baader "R" filter and to the right of that in Well 2 is a partial view of the Baader "G" filter. All these filters were supplied as part of the SBIG "Pro 8" filter set and were ostensibly 50.4 mm according to the label on the Baader box.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It appears these filters are not to specification. Sorry for the trouble. We will check the other sets we have received from Baader, and if we have a set with the correct diameter we will send them to you immediately. In the meantime please return the defective units to:

Santa Barbara Instrument Group
    Repairs
    150 Castilian Drive, Suite 101
    Santa Barbara, CA 93117
    Phone: (805) 308-6979

4. Steve Young

Doug, Thanks so much! The filters are on the way back via FedEx. Bill should have them by the end of the day on Thursday. -Steve