Images coming out completely black

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Tim Long, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Tim Long

Tim Long Cyanogen Customer

When I started the observatory up today (remotely) MaxIm DL reported that it was unable to connect to the camera. I went on site and had to re-plug the USB connector and I also physically power-cycled the camera at that point.

Now, the camera connects in MaxIm DL, but all images (ligths and darks) come out completely black, with all pixels having a value of zero. MaxIm actually states a maximin pixel value in the range 43,000 but there is no obvious non-zero pixel in the image. Measuring with the Information tool shows an average/max/min value of zero across the entire image.

The camera is less than 1 year old, it is an STXL-6303, with FW-8G and AO-X.

I would expect to see at least some dark current, even if there were a fault with the filter wheel, shutter, AO-X or indeed if the cap were still on the telescope (which it wasn't). So, this does not seem to bode well to me. I would appreciate your help and advice in troubleshooting.

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Are Bias frames like that too?

3. Tim Long

I've just tried taking a bias frame and yes, all zero.
    --T.

Attached Files:

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

What happens if you run the SBIG Driver Checker, and check the driver versions, and then check the firmware?

Sounds like a hardware failure, but maybe something in firmware has been lost. The latter *might* be fixable without sending it in.

If it is indeed a hardware failure, we'll have to get it in for service.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That does sound like a hardware failure, unfortunately. Please contact bill@sbig.com

Tim Long likes this.
  6. Tim Long

Driver and firmware update doesn't seem to have fixed it. Does it have to be physically power-cycled for the new firmware to take effect, or does it reboot at the end of the update? (I'm doing this remotely at the moment)

7. Tim Long

OK I've spoken to Bill and I'm sending it in. Bummer.