My Camera Won't Come to Focus - What to do?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Doug, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Doug

Doug Staff Member

PreciseParts is the go-to place for custom adapters.

2. Tony Lazar

Tony Lazar Standard User

Baader makes a nice two-piece "Ultra-Short (10mm) SCT Female to T2 Male T-Adapter # SCT-T 2958500B".

Is there nothing like this off-the-shelf to fit the STL 2.156" opening? It seems unbelievable that the STL/STT lines have existed this long without such a connector, given how many are attached to SCTs.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

4. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

I do not know of an adjustable distance adapter like this. A fixed adapter from precise parts would be the option I know of.
    As you know you should maintain the proper spacing between the reducer and the image plane.

5. Tony Lazar

Tony Lazar Standard User

Thanks, Doug! I assume I can screw in the 2" adapter plate / STT camera directly to either the SCT 2" rear cell or my Meade F/6.3 reducer (attached to the SCT rear cell), bypassing the STL nosepiece / Baader clicklock compression fitting that I have now?

Only problem is that then I can't rotate the camera - it's rigid. Any ideas for a short 2" adapter to allow rotation, like a Baader or Celestron T-adapter would?

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Tony, see if there is a Baader Vari-Lock that will do the job. They have small screws that can be loosened around one of the collars allowing for rotation. Not sure if its in the size you need.

7. Tony Lazar

Tony Lazar Standard User

Thanks for the advice, guys - Doug, Tim, and Colin! As it turns out, Doug's earlier admonition to examine the focal reducer was the key. Some units of Meade's so-labeled "f/6.3 focal reducer" are actually closer to f/5 - at least mine is. At f/5, the C-11/STT backfocus gets really short, and the pick-off mirror doesn't catch the light cone too well. Swapping out for a Celestron f/6.3 reducer fixed the problem (and it always worked at native f/10). I'm glad I didn't just get shorter adapters - it would've been a classic case of treating the symptoms instead of the root cause.