Resolved Newly appearing Image artifact

Discussion in 'Aluma AC Series CMOS' started by Mark Manner, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Mark Manner

Mark Manner Cyanogen Customer

Hi, I have been using my AC4040 regularly now, and the last two nights an artifact has appeared in all light frame images that wasn't there before. I attach the unmodified camera output of M51 from June 18, no artifact, and M101 June 20, with the artifact. I also see the artifact in an equivalent June 19 image of a different object, and do not see it in any images before June 19. I also attach a dark frame from this past evening, and note that it does not show this artifact. To show how significant it is in a processed image, I also attach a jpg of M101 made from integrating several of the M101 raw fits files to help direct you to the artifact. Nothing has changed in my system to explain this.
    Thanks for thoughts on it.

Mark

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, I see in the M101 image at about column 2030-2047, row1153-1154 it seems there is a warm/hot pixel effect going on that is driving that edge of the row bright.
    What happens if you shoot a dark and a light frame, unbinned (1x1) shot in High gain, not StackPro mode?

3. Mark Manner

Hi Colin, I’ll try that and report. Thanks.

4. Mark Manner

Here is a 90sec Bin1 Dark high read-out and 90sec Bin1 Light frame high read-out. I did these in the observatory, which has some light intrusion during the daytime, so I used the Ha filter to keep from oversaturating it. Given the stray light I couldn't do a proper flat panel image so it has some random light patterns in it.

Attached Files:

5. Tim Povlick

Tim Povlick Cyanogen Customer

Using the M101 fits image from the initial posting, an "image link" in the Sky X seems to indicate the artifact is optical in nature.
    The spike seems to originate from the mag 8 star.
    Thoughts?

_..--
    Tim

Attached Files:

Mark Manner likes this.
  6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I think @Tim Povlick wins the prize on this one, and he beat me to it!
    When we see column/row defects from hot pixels, we usually see an entire row go out, or a dash-line effect. Neither is present here. The dark frame would show it, if it were hot pixels.
    That light frame does have some crazy reflections going on.

Edit: HIP 68621 is the star in question.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  7. Mark Manner

I've certainly seen out of field stars run a line similar to that over an image. However, this has appeared on two different targets and the stars outside it on both didn't appear to me to be similarly situated enough to cause it to be at the same spot. Coincidence is a *****! I'll determine this definitively tonight by rotating the camera 45 degrees and keeping the target the same. I hope that you're both right about it, although if you are, that will mean that I'll have to be a bit more careful than in the past. With my prior CCDs, it didn't happen unless something fairly bright was pretty close. I guess in part a reflection (no pun intended) of the greater sensitivity of this chip. I also agree that it doesn't make much sense that nothing would show up in the dark frame or in the goofy dome light frame I took today.

Thanks for looking at it. I find recently that anytime I see something a bit different, I default to wondering if it is a CMOS issue. I like the camera and its sensitivity and download speed, so I need to move on from my prior CCD world view :).

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Here's the likely culprit at the right edge. Purple box is my estimate of your 4040 field of view.
    manner_hip68621.png

Mark Manner likes this.
  9. Mark Manner

Could well be. At Doug’s suggestion at AIC I’m starting to dither a significant amount so my frame may have shifted that direction more than I thought. I’ll solve and link in TheSkyX a few different sub exposures and see if that star is right on the edge. I’m more convinced that you’re right which makes it even more of a coincidence that the night before on a completely different target I had the same issue in almost exactly the same spot. Things like that happen.

[Edit, I've now matched the images in TheSkyX and it does seem like that star is the one causing the problem. I think that the camera's enhanced sensitivity is going to require more attention to off-field stars. Recently I've been running unguided, so I haven't paid attention to this like I would have (I might have used that star as a guide star in fact). I'm going to rotate and frame the image differently for more data collection. Hopefully registering the old data with the new will allow rejection of the intrusion.]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

11. Mark Manner

Thanks Colin, I just installed and will test soon.
    Hope all is well,
    Mark