Power issues with STT-8300M and FW8G

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by KimRichards, Jul 24, 2015.

1. KimRichards

KimRichards Standard User

Hi,

I have a new STT-8300M with FW8G and am trying to run it using the Software Bisque external power cable through my Mx mount.
    When the SBIG supplied power cable is connected directly to the camera I have no problems but when using the SB power cable the camera yellow light is always on and the cooling occasionally switches itself off.
    I believe the problem is that at full power the voltage drops by about 2 V across the SB cables and mount which shuts down the cooling. I have pushed the pins apart on the camera power socket to try to get better contact but no improvement.

Can you clarify a few things on the power ratings from your manual.

1. Page 39 states current 4 amps max, 3.5 nominal, and 10.5 to 14 VDC. I take this to mean the maximum current is 4 amps for the camera alone, how much will the FW8G add?

2. Page 12 says the green light goes on below 11V and the red light at 10V and which point the cooling is switched off. From this I am assuming I have a voltage drop of between 1 and 2 Volt with no cooling and above 2V at maximum cooling. Agreed?

3. Page 41 says 10-14.5VDC at 6Amps I am assuming this is the rating of the power supply and that the current never gets this high. I ask because the rating of the Mx and cables is 5Amp.

On some of your old power supplies you were able to open them and tweak the voltage slightly. The current supply gives 12V and if I could push it to 12.5 this may solve the problem.

Thanks and regards

Kim

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The FW8G won't add a lot. The cooler will draw a LOT of power, 4A total draw for the camera if at 100% power.

The connector almost certainly isn't the problem.

The cabling inside the mount probably doesn't have a large enough wire gauge to support this much current. I don't know what gauge they use these days; for my first generation Paramount ME the cabling was definitely too small a gauge, and I always run power through separate through-the-mount cables.

If you're losing 2V through the internal cable, no matter what you do it will be dodgy. Yes increasing the voltage a bit will reduce the current a bit, but it's still going to be on the edge. You should just run a cable through the mount, rather than using the built-in power cables.