Resolved Remote Guide Head

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Larry Phillips, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Larry Phillips

Larry Phillips Cyanogen Customer

Bill replaced the cooler this past summer and this is the first time since then that I have used the camera. It was ok before sending it off. I used it last May and it was fine. Perhaps something got messed up during shipping back and forth.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Unfortunately many parts are no longer available for the old ST-series cameras, so our ability to service them is somewhat limited. Please contact bill@sbig.com to see what he can do.

Alternatively, if the problem is not bad enough to prevent guiding, you may just want to live with it...

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I talked to Bill this morning and he was hoping Larry could give him a call.

4. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Turns out that the banding shows up in the Internal Guider as well, but only when the RGH is attached and cooling is on. Disconnect the RGH, no banding in the Internal Guider with cooling on. Connect the RGH and both, Internal and External, Guiders appear to be fine until cooling is activated.

**The Heat Exchanger was replaced, not the Cooler**

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

So what's the next step here?

6. Larry Phillips

Oh, sorry. It is due to arrive at Bill's tomorrow for repair. Bill should be able to describe the particulars.

7. Larry Phillips

Here is an update on the remote guider problem. Bill connected to my computer the week before Thanksgiving using TeamViewer and verified the problem as mentioned in his last post above. He could not duplicate the problem at his place after a week of troubleshooting. It will be back here tomorrow and I will see if it still has a problem and will try a few more troubleshooting ideas if the problem is still there. Seems strange that it was a problem for me but not for Bill. Bill and I are both stumped on why that might be. It is like taking your car in for a problem that the dealer cannot fine.

Larry

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Good grief, I had a Ford like that - it worked fine at the Dealer, and died 1 block from their dealership after they found no problems and I left with it. So I had to push the car back...
    Let's hope it's not that.
    Once's it's back, test it out and let us know. Maybe there is something local to your setup.

9. Larry Phillips

Mystery solved!!! My camera arrived back from Bill today and I was able to do some troubleshooting. The culprit is the new power supply I purchased from Bill this past summer. I started out working in my office with a power supply that I got from a friend's ST-10. Every thing worked fine and I could not duplicate the problem. So I took it outside to the mount and hooked it up to the scope and the power supply (which was still out with the mount and scope) from Bill and the problem reappeared. I never considered a power supply problem since it was new. Since I could not think of any thing else that was different, I took the new power supply out of the loop and connected with my friend's power supply and the problem disappeared. I have contacted Bill about a replacement.