Running AO-X without SBIG camera?

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by Colin Robson, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Colin Robson

Colin Robson Standard User

With the newish package of StarChaser and AO-X is it possible to now use the AO-X without a SBIG camera? I'm contemplating a new higher resolution setup to my RH200 and thinking about the ASI6200 on a 10" F/5.8.

Given that the SC-3 and AO-X talk to each other and control that side of things would it be a possible setup? I understand that I'd have to drill holes into the ZWO filter wheel on the telescope side for mounting them both.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes it is theoretically possible to do that. You'd have to figure out how to attach things mechanically.

3. Colin Robson

Thanks Doug, that is good to know. I imagine it would just be a matter of machining holes in the filter wheel to match up with the AO-X. Gives me something to consider.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We would hope, of course, that you consider using our cameras! We have the new Aluma AC4040 rolling into production right now.

5. Colin Robson

The pixel size is a bit of a killer though, at 9 microns (1.28"/pixel) I'd have no need for the AO-X ;)

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We do have additional new models in the pipeline. Two are currently in prototype stage. Stay tuned. ;)

7. Colin Robson

Guess I'll have to keep my eyes on the horizon. Currently considering the IMX-455 sensor for its 3.76 micron pixels which gives me 0.54"/pixel. Might be under boatel 7 skies but I routinely get FWHM below 1.8" with a Mewlon 250 at 0.4"/pixel.

8. Colin Robson

So plans have changed for the time being, not looking at a new camera in the short term but still planning on using a SC-4 and AO-X with my Mewlon 250CRS and ASI094. Is there anywhere that has the hole placements for the AO-X on both sides? I know the AO-X and SC-4 have the same hole placements but there is no mechanical specifications anywhere that I've been able to find to start looking at getting adapter machined.

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Look at the STX manual; there's a drawing of the adapter plate. It has the same hole specifications.