SBIG STX RANDOM BAD IMAGE

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Jim Gillard, May 6, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Not by mail, no. If you wish to upgrade, simply use Help menu Check For Updates. It will offer you options for upgrading, and you can order online.

2. Josef Poepsel

Josef Poepsel Cyanogen Customer

Hello Doug,

I will go the official route and request an update. The telescope is located in Crete and is operated in cooperation with the University of Heraklion (Forth). The person responsible for the software there is George Paterakis. He is informed about the process.
    Will an update fix the problem or is that just an educated guess? What about the filter wheel issue (STX-16803 - FW5-STX combination) which is currently preventing me from updating the drivers (see https://forum.diffractionlimited.com/threads/sbigudrv-dll- has-broken-our-fw7-in-maxim-d-6-14.8375/). Are those also solved with the update?
    Personally, I don't like the idea of paying for an update (unnecessary in terms of features) that is only necessary to fix bugs that crept in from a previous update, but wht people will do for a working sytem... Stupid only if the new update is unsuccessful and the money was spent for nothing...

Best regards

Joseph
    www.capella-observatory.com

3. Josef Poepsel

Hello Doug,

as suggested by you, the day before yesterday I tried to update MaximDL via the corresponding menu item. On your website, however, I was informed that the corresponding license key could not be used for an upgrade. I then asked your support on the following website, stating the license key and e-mail address, to take care of the problem. So far I haven't received an answer. It would be nice if we could solve this problem as soon as possible so that the telescope can be fully operational again as soon as possible. Can you please check with support?

Best regards

Josef

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

You've received an email. Let us know if you didn't get it. This software license is in someone else's name, and I think the email will explain.

5. Josef Poepsel

Hello Collin,

I just got the email and can choose the upgrade subscription for a year or two now. Thanks!
    When I was talking to George Paterakis a minute ago, it turned out that the university is not willing to spend money on an upgrade (which is not necessary with regard to new functions) unless it can be guaranteed that this will bring the intended success.
    Can I easily install a 6.30 demo version on the computer running version 6.20 to try this out in advance? I remember bigger problems I've had when I tried it in the past. I wasn't able to go back to the older, licensed version at that time. If the test with the 6.30 demo version would be successful, we would immediately upgrade to this version.
    Or can you guarantee that the bug described is fixed in version 6.30?

Sorry for the circumstances, but I think the university's reasoning is somehow understandable.

CS

Joseph

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

It costs our company real money to pay programmers and support staff - we're not making massive profits, we're just trying to pay the staff that maintain and support the product.
    I think the University should rethink their position.
    Yes, you can install the demo and try it.
    6.16-6.20 have a bug related to handling certain SBIG filter wheels,and the current software also permits double-stacked AFW-10-50 wheels for multiple filter combinations.

7. Josef Poepsel

>Yes, you can install the demo and try it.

And I can reuse the old version if I had no success without problems?

>6.16-6.20 have a bug related to handling certain SBIG filter wheels,and the current software also permits double-stacked AFW-10-50 wheels for multiple filter combinations.

This is not the main problem, since I have this SBigDrv.dll V4.99 work around. The broblem are the occasionaly dimmed images. If they are fixed in the new (newer than 4.99) camera drivers or MaximDL (who ever is responsible for the bug) all is okay, if not, I do not know, what to do. We'll see...

CS

Josef

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Yes, you can uninstall 6.30 and go back to a prior release. I recommend you backup the \Document\MaxIm DL 6 folder, or at least the settings.

9. Josef Poepsel

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Comments added in the other thread. This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.