ST-I guiding issue with Celestron CGEM mount

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Tapan Sil, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Tapan Sil

Tapan Sil Standard User

I have a Celestron CGEM mount autoguided by ST-i Color and OAG. I got the STF-8300M pro package .When I connect the ST-I with CCDops and the CGEM mount and try to calibrate a star it says "Invalid motion in the X axis " and does't calibrate anymore. Is there a step I am missing? If some one would like to comment..

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Let's start with the simple stuff... Did you plug in the Tracking Interface Cable?

3. Tapan Sil

Tapan Sil Standard User

Yes I did

4. Tapan Sil

Tapan Sil Standard User

I did notice that the wiring of the SBIG interface cable is different from the wire that came with the Celestron CGEM mount. I tried both but didn't work out.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It may very well be an issue with cable compatibility. I've seen mounts where the pins are reversed on the connector. Check the manual for the mount.

Also please check the manual on whether there are any settings to be made in the mount controller for guider inputs. For example, there may be a speed control; if it's set very low the mount may not move sufficiently.

6. Tapan Sil

Tapan Sil Standard User

Hi Doug
    The Cable is ok and after going through the process of calibration it is handing over to OPSAG which says 'server not found'. Is there a download for opsag which I am missing? Please advise.

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

OpsAG is not considered an active software package, so it is not being maintained.

8. Tapan Sil

Tapan Sil Standard User

So what software package do I use for autoguiding and what should be the process? Please elaborate.

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You can run two copies of CCDOPS, and use one to guide and one to image.

We're working on a light version of MaxIm DL for SBIG owners. In the meantime you might want to try the MaxIm DL Pro demo.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  10. Tapan Sil

Tapan Sil Standard User

I tried PHD guiding with the ST-i and OAG8300 the night before and it seemed to work well. I was aiming at a long exposure but stray clouds rolled in. However I feel that PHD is second option and as you said something from SBIG would be the more reliable.

11. Bert Bjurch

Bert Bjurch Cyanogen Customer

I have the same problem with my Celestron CGE mount. It works perfectly under PHD Guider but as soon as I switch to MaximDL it works once out of about 30 tries. It does not move the mount in Y direction but X is good. But it once in awhile after a mullion tries will work. Hook up to PHD and it never fails, MaximDL is the only program that consistently fails. Is there an issue with Maxim and Celetrstron mounts?