Resolved ST10xme Can't connect to a Win 10 PC

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Arf, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Arf

Arf Standard User

Update- Re usb to serial adapters causing blocking of communication to usb st10xme...

I got and tried Tripplite 19 HS and another brand as well, which had a Prolific chipset. Both had Win 10 drivers. And neither worked. The st10 communicated fine until I connected the adapter and loaded the drivers. From that point the camera again could not connect, same error messages in CCDOPS and CCD Soft.
    The only way to cure it is reload Win10 and my apps and programs all over, otherwise it stays incommunicado....
    There is something that the st10 does not like once these adapters are installed...Belkin, Tripplite and Prolific. I have one more coming to try, a US Converters "Professional" for Win10, rather pricey. If that doesn't work I'll give up, maybe look for another focuser for remote operation since that is what I need the adapter for with my JMI NGF-S focuser.
    I wonder if anyone else has encountered this bug with usb st10 or no. It gets laborious reloading Win10 and all my programs each time I try a new adapter!

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Suggestion: try Acronis True Image software. It allows you to make a complete backup image of your computer including the operating system, and later restore everything in one operation. It's a lot less work than reloading Windows.

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Install the drivers first, from the manufacturer's website, not from the CD that ships, and don't let Windows do its default drivers. THEN plug in the device.

4. Arf

Arf Standard User

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I did exactly that re first loading the latest drivers from the website, not CD, restarting then plugging in the adapter. The adapter works fine, and all my other usb devices such as portable drives or my Nikon d810a dslr (via Backyard Nikon) etc have no problems connecting usb. The JMI NGF S motorized focuser runs fine thru the usb serial adapter, using PC Focus. The ST10 is the only usb device that refuses to be recognized by CCDOPS or CCDSoft once it is plugged in after any brand (so far) of usb to serial adapter is roperly installed. Seems to be unique to the camera, else why would all other usb devices not have this problem?. Again, Device Manager shows st10 to be installed and working fine, as well as the adapter...beats me.

I will check out the Acronis sw, thanks for the suggestion.