STC-428-P + ASCOM + TheSky

Discussion in 'STC Series CMOS' started by doncarona, Nov 25, 2023.

1. doncarona

doncarona Standard User

Greetings Colin,

I read the power information from the post, "Problem with STC 428 P and the SKY X", but this isn't my issue. I built this new Windows 11 computer specifically for the STC-428. Now that I've finally had some time to actually test the system, there are a couple of ASCOM (64bit) issues using TheSky (64bit) that crop up occasionally.

1. If I open the Camera Setup > Settings and then open ASCOM > Properties and attempt to change from Low Gain Stacking to some other setting i.e.(Medium Gain Stacking), it crashes TheSky as soon as ASCOM changes to the different setting.

2. If ASCOM via TheSky attempts to use "AutoDark"...it appears to work. However, what is actually occurring is the light frame doesn't wait for the dark filter wheel to rotate into place. For instance, as soon as the light frame exposure is finished, the "dark frame" is being expose while the filter wheel is still rotating.

Best Regards,
    Don Carona

2. doncarona

doncarona Standard User

Have not heard about my questions. However, I did resolve the "AutoDark" issue by getting rid of ASCOM (64bit) and setup ASCOM (32bit). Still, ASCOM crashing if attempt to change a setting.

Don

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Sorry Don - I was away and did not see your original post.
    I will review and get back to you.
    Which exact version of TSX are you running? eg 10.5.0 Daily Build 13572

4. doncarona

doncarona Standard User

This is the current Daily Build 13638 that I test with this today. The last version was 13572.

Don

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

We're currently investigating. I'll provide confirmation if I can reproduce, and if there is a confirmed problem we will get a fix to you once we know what it is.

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, here's what I see:
    Can't reproduce.
    I suggest you uninstall both DL ASCOM and DL ASCOM x64 drivers:
    dl_ascom_uninstall.png
    Then install 32bit followed by install 64bit.

I see TSX reports Exposure Complete on the autodark while the filter wheel is still turning.
    This seems like an issue that is currently being resolved where the filter wheel is in motion but not reporting that correctly.

Questions:
    a) What exposure time length are you using?
    b) Have you set the ASCOM camera properties to use the filter wheel as a shutter (correct) OR are you using TSX's special filter name of !SHUTTER! for the name of the last filter?

8. doncarona

doncarona Standard User

Questions:
    a) What exposure time length are you using?
    b) Have you set the ASCOM camera properties to use the filter wheel as a shutter (correct) OR are you using TSX's special filter name of !SHUTTER! for the name of the last filter?

I used TSX's special filter name of !SHUTTER! for the name of the last filter. That worked.

I uninstall all of the DL ASCOM drivers (both 32bit and 64bit). Installs the 64bit only...did not work. Installed 32bit...only worked. Did not more after that since I had to hit the road.

Will get back to it when I get home.

Thanks!
    Don