STF 8300 C "Camera Error"

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Joe Roberts, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Joe Roberts

Joe Roberts Standard User

Hello,

I have an SBIG 8300C camera. I have been running it on a laptop for a while, but I moved Maxim to a Windows 10 machine. I can connect to the camera, but when I try to take an image with it I get the message "Camera Error 5". Does anyone have any advice? I've tried re-installing Maxim DL and it did not help.

I am running Maxim DL version 5.2. Would the issue have anything to do with going from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

(I'm removing the "Windows 10" from the thread title because, to date, we have absolutely no evidence that device drivers work any differently on Windows 10 versus 8, 7, or Vista. We don't want "urban legends" to start up.)

Error 5 means "bad command". Which likely means the drivers and camera aren't compatible. Please run the latest SBIG Driver Checker, and update your drivers. If they're up-to-date then you may need to flash the camera's firmware - also done through the driver checker.

NOTE: If you flash the firmware, and the program appears to become unresponsive do NOT terminate it! That will "brick" the camera. Just wait until it's done.

3. Joe Roberts

Well, now the computer won't recognize the camera. I downloaded the latest Driver checker and updated the files. However, there is no ".inf" file to specify. Getting frustrated. Why does this have to be so difficult? Can't fine the driver file on line anywhere either. It shows up in Device Manager as yellow.

4. Joe Roberts

OK... did something crazy happen today? I just tried my ST-Ic and it TOO won't work! I can see it recognized in Device Manager, but CCD Ops can't connect to it. It says "No camera can be found". I've tried 2 computers and no change. My STF-8300C stopped working today and now my ST-Ic won't work either. Did something with the software "break" today? I am DIW for imaging tonight.