STF-8300m and AT-i and USB

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by ngcjim, Feb 16, 2015.

1. ngcjim

ngcjim Cyanogen Customer

This is another tale of woe that I know you've all read about before. I posted this also to TheSkyX because that is my primary application.

So like many people on this forum, my USB connections will work fine for several weeks or so and then I just start getting the Error 30008 or Error =200 - no connection or a communication error.

So as of tonight I've just started getting these errors with my OAG, the SBIG ST-i.

I can take as many images as I want by clicking take photo, but as soon as I click 'Autoguide' the errors start popping up. AND then, I can immediately click 'Take Photo' and it works. Autoguiding it fails, take photo and it works.

I can disconnect the autoguider USB cable and reconnect and it works for one autoguide cycle.

I use the Sewel U link USB to ethernet adapter to run the 20' to my computer. I am using brand new Star Tech cables. My SBIG STF-8300m also runs over the same Sewel adapter with no problems. I checked the SBIG drive checker and I am up to date. I am running the latest February build of STX and using Win 8.1

I know it cannot be a cold temperature problem that has plagued many people, because although it is chilly here, I don'y count 55 degrees F as too cold.

I started the SBIG log and all I get is this:
    =======================================================
    Log file created : Mon Feb 16 19:10:25 2015

Computer : MERCURY
    Processor type : 586
    Number of processors : 8
    Operating system : Microsoft Professional (build 9200), 64-bit
    System directory : C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Windows directory : C:\WINDOWS
    User : edasi_000
    Driver Name Version Date Current
    sbigudrv.dll 4.76 Build 63 04-29-14 Yes
    sbigu64.sys 2.41.0.1338 01-13-09 Yes
    sbigpcam.hex 2.46 01-20-09 Yes
    sbiglcam.hex 2.20 05-25-10 Yes
    sbigfcam.hex 2.25 07-13-10 Yes
    sbigfga.bin 2004.11.10 01-20-09 Yes

I bet everyone is as stumped as I am.

thanks

Jim

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Okay so 55F is probably not cold enough to make the hub go off-frequency, but you should try different USB cables and a different hub. It's not commonly recognized that the impedance of USB cables varies, and some are not made as precisely as other. Impedance mismatches can cause a very high USB error rate.

Also avoid running the main camera and autoguider through the same USB hub. That tends to cause traffic bottleneck problems.

3. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

Jim,
    you have also very old SBIG driver installed (sbigudrv.dll 4.76 Build 63 04-29-14 Yes), the current version is 4.86.
    I am not saying this will solve problems with your autoguider, of course. To update it, see our FAQ.
    Jan

4. ngcjim

ngcjim Cyanogen Customer

Do you have a favorite supplier of USB cables?

5. ngcjim

ngcjim Cyanogen Customer

OK I will check that out the FAQ today. Can you provide me a link as I am not seeing it? (However the Driver Checker said I am current.)

Is there anything under "Config Driver I should check?

6. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

7. ngcjim

ngcjim Cyanogen Customer

OK got drivers updated. Since I don't go to this app often I keep forgetting to click Download button first and then update.

I'll test it tonight if the weather permits.