STF CCD, FW8 and OAG 8300 Backfocus Validation

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Darren Wesemann, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Darren Wesemann

Darren Wesemann Cyanogen Customer

The panel is evenly eliminated, but just in case I did the experiment suggested, and the shadow stands still regardless of the orientation of the lit panel. I attached another flat and a few pics, one showing the CCD with the filter wheel and pickoff mirror, one showing the lit panel up through the optical tube from the perspective of where the CCD attaches, and the other showing the whole setup with the lit panel resting atop the ota. Also, I ran the flat exposure process in MaximDL with the CCD dethatched so I could watch the filter wheel move to ensure it wasn't stopping incorrectly, and it moves and stops as it should, ending in the right place. The shadow is still there, so I'm at a loss as to what would be casting it. Any other ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Maybe we're actually seeing some kind of reflection, not a shadow?

Did you try Colin's suggestion of rotating the camera/wheel/guider assembly in the focuser? If the pattern doesn't rotate then it's something in the camera equipment. If it does then it's in front.

Here's something else you could try: remove the OAG-8300 completely. If the shadow goes away then we'll be sure it really is the OAG that is causing it.

Also, can you take a photo into the camera with the shutter open?

3. Darren Wesemann

Right, sorry, forgot to mention, no different in the orientation of the camera assembly, attached is both the 45 and 90 degree orientation...

Attached Files:

4. Darren Wesemann

Here's a pic with the shutter open...

Attached Files:

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Hard to tell from the shot, but the mirror assembly still looks close to the chip. The telescope does have an f/ratio, which means the beam comes in at an angle. (What is your f/ratio by the way?)

6. Darren Wesemann

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I think it's a C14 Edge HD at f/11. Unless there's a reducer in there (that I don't see in the photo).

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Even at f/11 the beam goes out about a tenth of an inch for every inch from the focal plane.

9. Darren Wesemann

Regarding the f/11 beam, with the pickoff mirror back as far as it can go, I still get the shadow. The file "Flat-STF-Out-Full.fit" is the flat with the pickoff all the way back, and the "Flat-STF-Out-1.fit" is slightly forward. Note the shadow appears to be in the same place regardless of where the pickoff mirror. I attached the view from the ST-i for reference in both positions, in case that provides any clues.

Attached Files:

10. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You can subtract "Flat-STF-Out-Full.fit" and "Flat-STF-Out-1.fit", and the result is nearly flat. That rather suggests the pattern isn't due to the pick-off mirror.

Try removing the OAG from the stack, and see what you get.

11. Darren Wesemann

Attached are flats with the OAG removed, and then with the Filter Wheel also removed. The shadow appears to be there with just the STF. I've included some additional pics of the CCD chip, and the other parts if it's useful... so what does this mean? (my STF has been sitting in the box unopened for a few years until I found time to devote to setting everything up... so whatever it is, it's been there from the beginning). Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Attached Files:

12. Doug

Doug Staff Member

For a starter, it means we're chasing a red herring. The OAG and filter wheel aren't causing anything.

If you rotate the camera, I assume the pattern stays as-is?

Have you inspected the front of the camera's chamber window for smudges?

Have you tried recharging the desiccant?

13. Darren Wesemann

Rotating the camera doesn't change the shadow. The front of the camera's chamber is clean, no smudges. How do I recharge the desiccant?

14. Doug

Doug Staff Member

15. Darren Wesemann

I recharged the desiccant, plugged it back in, and let it sit for two days before trying again... Attached is the flat I just took, shadow is unchanged.

Attached Files:

16. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Well... the variation is about 5%. I'm not sure what the cause is, but it appears consistent and should flat-field out. One option is to simply accept it and continue.

Another option is to send your camera in, but all we could really do is try cleaning it to see if that improves things.

What is your camera serial number?

17. Darren Wesemann

Where can I find the serial number?

Back to the original issue though, the focus problem, assuming the 5% variation isn't causing an issue with focus, I shot three examples and tried auto focus on all three, Polaris, Jupiter and one of J's moons... All three are attached with screenshots of the autofocus after each. Let me know what I'm doing wrong, or is there a different issue?

Attached Files:

18. Doug

Doug Staff Member

There's a label on the side.

19. Darren Wesemann

Serial: 83F011187

20. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Oh, that's a 2014 model. Back then SBIG didn't keep sample images for manufactured cameras, so I don't have a comparison.