STF8300C diagonal bands

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by LuxBC, Feb 20, 2019.

1. LuxBC

LuxBC Standard User

Hi
    All images taken with my STF8300C have diagonal bands in the lower left corner, at any temperature. Besides the fact that for other reasons the camera was sent to SBIG for repairs some time ago and the sensor was replaced, the defect was already present before and is still there. Any advice, could it be some kind of interference?
    The attached image was "stretched" to emphasize the problem.
    Thank you!
    Luca

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Please upload a raw, unprocessed FITS frame. And also a dark frame.

3. LuxBC

LuxBC Standard User

Hi Doug
    Attached you find a 360 seconds light frame and a 360 seconds dark frame both @ -20c. With postprocessing I usually manage to get rid of the problem but sometimes it's a little hard.

Attached Files:

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It's exceedingly faint in the single frame, but I was able to recognize what that is.

Alan Holmes figured this out some years ago. It's apparently caused by faint reflections from the bond wires that connect the CCD sensor's chip to the package. Not everyone sees this. It might depend on the sky background level or the optics that are being used, or perhaps it might vary a little from sensor to sensor. You could try adding some optical baffling in front of the camera to see if that helps.

Bill likes this.