STF8300m just stopped working

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Damian Briden, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Damian Briden

Damian Briden Standard User

Hi everyone.
    My looked after camera has just stopped working tonight.
    Owned since they came out, only been off the FSQ once or twice. Purchased new via Ian King in the UK.
    On a bespoke scopebuggy style trolley, so kept in the garage when not in use - looks as good as new.
    Up until two years ago hardly ever used due to a two hour commute, but after a change of jobs I’ve started to get back into imaging over the last 18 months....

OK, the issue. A Mac user using the old Equinox Image (was the UK beta tester for this software and camera over here). Easy to use and has a superb auto focus routine controlling the Robofocuser and camera.
    Camera has always made 5-6 audible clicks on power up, then the fan clicks in. Then it appears in the software and I just click to connect.
    Camera is mains powered via the SBIG supplied brick. USB supplied cable straight into the old 17” MacBook Pro.
    Tonight, the camera only made half a click on start up. Light on the back on (red), fan turns on. Camera no where to be found in the software so can’t connect.
    Tried turning off/on, checked power cable, swapped USB sockets, unscrewed the power supply and re-set. Gave it a good tap with the knuckles to see if it dislodged anything. Rotated the scope so camera at different angles. No joy... presume camera not initialising on start up or something getting stuck - hence the single half a ‘cli...’ ?
    Packed up in disgust for tonight. Perhaps tomorrow I’ll unscrew the faceplate of the camera to see what’s going on (that way I won’t loose my position and have to redo flats!)

Any ideas to what is going on, what a remedy might be or what to do if it needs sending back...?

Just downloaded CCDops Lite on the Mac and the full version on a Windows 7 laptop. I’m not familiar with the Windows environment (work in graphics), but will give it a go if that is what’s required to diagnose the issue.... any help, most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Damian

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

When you plug the camera in, does it show up in the "Device Manager" on Windows?

3. Damian Briden

Hi Tim
    Home now and in the garage, doing some diagnostics pre-dinner!

In the device manager the PC laptop can see something, but it is ‘unknown’... I have already downloaded CCDops and the SBIG driver Checker64 (this laptop is running 32bit Windows 7).

See pic

Attached Files:

4. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Did you run SBIGDriverChecker64 and install the drivers already? On the main window of the SBIGDriverChecker64 software, does it have all the driver versions listed?

If you open SBIGDriverChecker64, and go to the Firmware tab, then check for firmware version, does anything show up?

5. Damian Briden

Yes, updated the drivers.
    Nothing in the Firmware tab
    See...

Attached Files:

6. Damian Briden

Camera connected, only did this half a click again. Red light on back illuminated. Fan on.
    An unknown device registered on the laptop.
    You’ll have to be patient with me, sorry, as I only use the ‘thing’ for PHD2 and CduC!
    D

7. Damian Briden

Just reading through the ReadMe Info and also found the STF-8300 Firmware in the Driver Checker64 > 32 bit folder.... see pic. Not instigated/clicked on anything yet though as awaiting your advice.
    D

Attached Files:

8. Damian Briden

I can also double check on the Mac later as that’s how I normally run the camera and have updated it via the Mac drivers in the past. Camera has been fine for months (when I’ve had the chance to get outside - UK weather!)
    Done garage dark frames and flat frames over last few months. All fine.
    Only thing touched was the desiccant plug last summer to recharge ready for the autumn...

9. Damian Briden

I also have TeamViewer installed if you would rather check yourself!

10. Damian Briden

Another thing just noticed. Disconnected usb and powered down camera.
    On re-power, fan on but no red light... not even a bong now from the PC when USB reconnected...

11. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Well it seems you have covered mostly everything as far as troubleshooting goes..the drivers are installed, but not firmware connection. Though did you try a different USB cable? Other than that, it seems it will likely have to come in for service.

You should contact @Bill Lynch, and he can arrange the return and service.

--------------

Bill Lynch – SBIG Service & Repair Center
    3769 Constellation Road, Unit D
    Lompoc, CA 93436
    Bill Lynch – bill at sbig dot com
    Phone: (805) 308-6979

Note: Please contact our authorized service & repair center for an RMA number prior to returning your equipment.

--------------

12. Damian Briden

Update.
    Numerous power downs and back ups.
    Had one sequence with two half clicks, no red light and then the fan start.
    Last 4 try’s, the red light and fan are on but NO click whatsoever...
    D

13. Damian Briden

Should I try to re-install the firmware as I highlighted in that image...?

Also followed someone’s advice on CN and check the central power pin - gave it a small tease outward to make sure the connection was OK.

If I do return the unit, can I unscrew the front plate and send the rest of it in the original box - I won’t loose my positions then, or do you want the whole thing..?

Thanks again for the help.

D

Dinner next!

14. Tim

Tim Staff Member

The highlighted drivers appear to be ok...note these are not firmware. If the drivers are installed (which they are), and it cant locate the firmware, there is likely an issue with the camera hardware.

1 thing you could try is manually selecting the "unknown device", (assuming this is actually the camera) as driver "SBIG USB-64 with firmware".

To do this:

1.) in the device manager, right click on the unknown entry and select "Update Driver".
    2.) Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
    3.) Select "Let me pick from a slist of available drivers on my computer"
    4.) Uncheck "Show Compatible Hardware".
    5.) From the "Manufacturers" list, locate "SBIG"
    6.) Then from the list select "SBIG USB-64 with firmware".

If Windows accepts the driver, try to connect. If it rejects it, the likely cause is a corrupted USB chipset, and you will have no other option than to send it in for service.

15. Damian Briden

Thanks Tim for your help.

It’s nearly 10pm here, so will try your ideas tomorrow evening when I get home from work.
    I do believe the unknown device is the camera - it appears 10 seconds or so once the USB cable is connected from the camera.
    I did swap out the USB cable for a decent Lindy one, no joy.
    Got nowhere with the Mac.
    I did unscrew the faceplate so could look inside the camera.
    The image is position of the shutter on opening.
    There was nothing obvious catching on the shutter to impede it’s movement.
    I did a number of power ups/downs and recorded it on the phone. At 1min 5secs the shutter has an absolute fit. First time it’s done that.
    Link to move:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bBFgQ96FqJjEoGeN1hLPNcYbW1GN6I2J/view?usp=sharing

I’m just adding so that I can link all this to Bill (if I have to send the camera back, just to give him a heads up).
    I’ll be back in touch tomorrow with my findings.
    Thanks again..

Regards,
    Damian

Attached Files:

16. Damian Briden

Camera details:
    See pic.

Attached Files:

17. Damian Briden

Hi Tim
    I’m back in the garage...
    I have hooked the camera up - still an unknown device and am trying to follow your last instructions...
    I can’t find SBIG in the manufacturers list...?
    See pic attached...
    Can I just check something with you - the SBIGDriverChecker64, I’m on a 32bit version of W7, this isn’t a problem..? I mean, I presume not, as that software is running and says it has updated the drivers via the internet successfully...

Damian

Attached Files:

18. Damian Briden

Do I need to ‘Configure the Driver’ by choosing ‘I don’t care or don’t intend to use an ST Model Camera’
    I’ve not delved into this area at all...
    Damian

19. Tim

Tim Staff Member

It should still work, and based on your reports, it is working.

No, there is no configuration required.

I think the only thing you can do here is send it in for service.

20. Damian Briden

Yes, no worries...
    Was just checking on the net what a ‘code 43’ is (as that’s what keep popping up in the Device Manager).

I’ve already had emails back and forth with Bill and have spoken with a third party at work to arrange a suitable courier.

Thanks for the help. Think it’s time to pack up and go searching in the loft for the case the camera came in.

Regards,
    D