STX 16803 Fan Problem

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by James Pierce, Mar 29, 2022.

1. James Pierce

James Pierce Cyanogen Customer

Hi,

Normally when my 16803 powers up the fan very briefly spins up ... then it spins down and then it spins up to full speed and continues to sound like a jumbo jet while it operates.

However... Over the last couple of days it's spinning up, down and then not spinning at all, which leads to the camera getting very hot when it tries to cool down to temperature. There is also a whining noise, but I can't say if that's new or not because you'd never hear it over the normal fan operation.

I've tried directly in CCD Ops and I can't see anything amiss. I've not updated or upgraded any software for a long long time (apart from bloody windows 10 with it's endless enforced updates).

I'm not sure if this is a physical hardware issue (the fan grill is a bit rusty and it's certainly done many hundred of nights of constant operation) or if there is something in the software that I might have missed somehow?

Regardless I'm out of action until I can figure it out so advice very welcome.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Sounds like the fan may be hurting...

What is your camera serial number?

3. James Pierce

X19040003

Attached Files:

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The camera is several years old, and it appears to have been in a somewhat corrosive environment (certainly humid at least).

The fan may need to be replaced. Please contact bill@sbig.com

5. James Pierce

We certainly get our share of humid nights, especially through winter. I heat and dehumidify the dome after every session, but that doesn't help the 10-12 hours of damp air being sucked through the fan over an evening. I'll get in touch with Bill now.