STX16803 and maxim won't do dark and bias frames

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Lord_Kyron, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Lord_Kyron

Lord_Kyron Cyanogen Customer

Hi,
    I have an SBIG STX16803 that has operated flawlessly for the last 10 years. About a year ago, I tried to update my correction frames only to discover that maxim now produced bias frames with 31,000 counts, with a standard deviation of 8,200 cts! Obviously, very bright, non-uniform and useless for image correction. At the same time, I tried a new set of dark frames, and discovered that the image intensity was 65,535 cts with an S.D. of ZERO; completely white! I have old correction frames that I can use, but how did this happen? Is my STX ailing? I tried both versions 5 and 6 of maxim, but without any difference in the poor outcome.

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

A quick test would be to have a look down the nose of the camera, luminance filter or clear slot, and do a 10 second exposure to see if you see the shutter open and close properly.
    Likely it will need to go in to @Bill for service.

3. Lord_Kyron

Lord_Kyron Cyanogen Customer

Hello, The readings I quoted were at night, in my dome, with the scope covered with its metal lens cover. No light was entering the camera, yet the dark frame was saturated, while the bias frames were as indicated. This has been going on for some time now.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I've sent an email to you and @Bill - please coordinate the repair via email. Bill might be able to remote in and check some settings.