STX16803-Shutter Problems (again)

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Mark Hanson, Jul 11, 2021.

1. Mark Hanson

Mark Hanson Cyanogen Customer

STX16803-Shutter Problems (again)

We are having intermittent shutter problems again. Some nights it’s in every other frame, where the shutter does not open fully or shuts prematurely. We have had this camera into SBIG repair, and the Drivers and Firmware have been updated by Bill. We have also put an entire new shutter on this camera, and it worked for 2 months now the same thing is happening.

Has anyone else had this problem and is there a cure. Our scope is in Chile so not exactly easy to send in for repair.

Here is a screen shot with 2 images taken one after the other both same exposure time. Look at the difference in the Histogram.
    STXShutterIssue.JPG

Here is a link to the fits files from last night.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/avig7dphwe2v27x/AAD7oIj_KwmvruI2MZkMcDZPa?dl=0

Thank you,

Mark Hanson

[​IMG]

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Mark, we'll discuss today with @Bill and get back to you.
    Is there anyone good with electronics and technical things at the site in Chile?
    Did this just start failing, or did something change? e.g. did someone clean the filter wheel or move the equipment around recently, or has it been in continuous use for 2 months? Reason I ask is we've seen shutter problems caused by incorrect screw lengths being used to mount a filter wheel to face of the camera.

3. Mark Hanson

Colin,

Thanks for the response. Its been up in Chile for a few months and just started to do this. We have 2 of the same cameras, I'm thinking i may have sent the other camera there, and maybe it has not been updated with the new firmware! This camera has also been into Bill for a similar problem but not sure if he updated the firmware. I will send Bill another note to see if he did. We will have to have the camera hooked up via USB, its Ethernet now or we cannot update the firmware.

Thank you,
    Mark

4. Mark Hanson

Colin,
    We have an Apogee filter wheel plate attached to the camera, what are the normal size screws? or how far is normal for attachment? We can check this after we check the firmware.
    Thank you,
    Mark

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

If you can supply the camera serial numbers, I can let you know which one came in to @Bill.

As far as screw size goes, they can't protrude below the cover. Since it's an Apogee wheel and you guys must have either made an adapter or drilled holes, I have no way to know what length.

6. Mark Hanson

I sent it to Bill. What are the threads on those screws?

Thank you,
    Mark

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

#6-32 thread 1/4" (0.25 inch) Socket Head Cap Screw - Stainless Steel is what we use to mount the 10018 nose piece to the camera face. Or filter wheel, etc.