STXL 16200 Problem

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Martin Pugh, Dec 25, 2023.

1. Martin Pugh

Martin Pugh Cyanogen Customer

Hi.
    I bought this camera for you as a hot spare just before CCD sales ceased.

I now need it and last night plugged it in to get some darks and bias frames.

Things are not right at all. See attached

It doesnt happen to every image, but the same exposure darks I took last night all look a little different to one another. Bias and darks were taken at -25degs.

Please advise as soon as you can as this camera is supposed to be going to Chile mid Januare.
    thanks
    Martin

Attached Files:

2. Martin Pugh

Regarding my earlier post with my 16200....this seems to be the issue with my camera i.e distorted images.

Did Bill report what the problem was?
    thanks
    martin

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

4. Martin Pugh

I have checked that connector and it is seated firmly, but the issue remains. Next steps please?
    regards
    Martin

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I'm afraid there aren't any next steps, aside from RMA.

6. Martin Pugh

ok. Is there nothing in CCDOPSD you can have me check? I have another 16200 and can compare any values. If no, please issue RMA

7. Martin Pugh

Doug....before I send it back given this is supposed to be going to Chile on 16 Jan (unlikely if it has to come back), is there anything in the SBIG Drvchecker debug log I can do.

Also, monitoring the shutter, why does it open when I take a 0 second bias frame in Maxim DL V6.30 but remains closed when I do the same in The SkyX?

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It looks like it's not clocking correctly. Generally that's a hardware thing. There are only two things that could impact clocking that aren't electronic:
    1. If the EEPROM lost its marbles, and the camera doesn't think it's an 16200 anymore. That's easily checked in CCDOPS. (I doubt this scenario because you'd expect the badness to be consistent.)
    2. If it's wet in the chamber, that can impact the CCD clocking (and also eventually damage the sensor). Check that, but regardless of what you see, purge the desiccant.

9. Martin Pugh

ok. I will bake the dessicant today. The camera has been in storage since I bought it. When I connect to the camera in CCDOPS it certainly links to a 16200.

It certainly isnt wet in the chamber. When it was stored, it was in its plastic bag, inside the pelican case, inside a cardboard box, in the garage.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  10. Martin Pugh

Doug….what is the expected gain and offset for this camera?

11. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Martin, until Doug can get back to you, here's a thought:
    CCDOPS - Camera - Camera Info - will show you the sensor details (rows, columns, binning and egain values).
    You could compare that with the other camera.
    Then we'd know if the EEPROM chip has failed and it has lost the settings.
    If you shoot a bias frame, likely it will have an average ADU count around 900-1000 or so.

12. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I don't know your camera's serial number, so I can't look up the exact values. The last 16200 we built had EGAIN 0.58 and an offset of 992 (A/D offset setting of 129).

13. Martin Pugh

This camera has an EGAIN of 0.59 but it is showing an offset of 1 and the other camera that works has an EGAIN of 0.58 and an offset of 0. I compared camera info and the one that is not working is also showing up as STX without ABG and the the work that is working as STX with ABG. If I recall from yesterday, the bias frame was around 900 ADU or so.

14. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If you like, maybe next week @Tim could remote in to a computer and look at the settings.

TBH I don't think this is a settings issue, but it's worthwhile to have a look before sending it in.

15. Martin Pugh

I managed to get Bill on the line and he remote in and checked things over and all is well, but the images remain corrupt and he reckons its the analog board that has failed.
    I did rebake the dessicant and purged the chamber for 24 hours but no difference.

So I guess its RMA?

16. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I'm afraid so. Everyone is on holidays right now, but I'm sure @Tim can help you when he gets back.

17. Martin Pugh

Doug....the other thing I have noticed as well now is the power brick keeps turning itself off so that also appears faulty. I would like to return that as well.

18. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Sure, just send it back with the camera, and be sure to note that in the RMA.

Suggestion - if you have another brick handy, try swapping. Maybe you're getting bad power.

19. Martin Pugh

I think I have exhausted all possibilities now. Tried a different PSU, no change.
    When Tim gets back can you ask him to issue an RMA for this and the CloudSensor II I posted about in the other forum. May as well include them in the same box.

thanks

20. Tim

Tim Staff Member

I don't think I saw it mentioned, but can I also suggest you try a different USB cable? Preferably a known good, and short USB cable (6' or less). Also try a separate PC. Just so we cover all our bases.

If none of the above help, can you please submit the following RMA contact form, and we can get the return process started.

http://diffractionlimited.com/request-rma