STXL16200 creating very dark and sometimes distorted images

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by w4sm, Jun 22, 2022.

1. w4sm

w4sm Cyanogen Customer

My STXL16200 has been working fine for several years. Last night all of the images were extremely dark with maximum pixel counts under 2000 and completely black background. This morning I tested things by trying to take some flats and the resulte were highly variable. Some were completely white at the top half of the image and black at the bottom. Others looked like the attached image.

I have a spare STXL16200 and I swapped it for the faulty one and everything worked perfectly which would seem to exclude software, cabling, power, etc. I suspect that this needs to go into servicing but any thoughts appreciasted.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We always request a FITS file, as we really can't tell anything from a JPEG.

(That said, it doesn't look good... may need repairs.)

3. w4sm

w4sm Cyanogen Customer

The problem first manifest with EXTREMELY dark but otherwise recognizable images. I've attached a 1200s exposure of NGC4631. After that, when I started taking test flats , the results were highly variable. Sometimes the vertical lines as seen above, sometimes top half white, bottom half dark, etc. Unfortunately, I trashed all of those flats images, but I don't think they added much. As I said, the swapped in the second STXL16200 works perfectly, so that eliminates a lot of possibilities. I posted to see if anyone had any quick fix ideas, but I agree that it probably needs to go to Bill Lynch for repairs.

Attached Files:

4. w4sm

w4sm Cyanogen Customer

For completeness I took this over to the house of a fellow imager. Using his computer, we checked the firmware and updated one file. The problem persisted so I'm sending it to Bill Lynch.

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Thanks for letting us know. Agree - it should go to @Bill.