STXL Driver Timeout

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Chris Hetlage, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Chris Hetlage

Chris Hetlage Standard User

Hi Jan, can Adam please update the thread as to the status. We need this resolved ASAP.

-Chris

2. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

We just this week received the STXL prototype, and it's in need of some servicing before we can use it to properly debug the issue. We strongly suspect the firmware is to blame for the timeouts, and reproducing the error is proving sporadic at best. As soon as we've got the issue reproduced in our development environment, we'll let you all know.

3. Adam Robichaud

As a small update: we've found a way to reliably reproduce RX/TX timeouts with the STXL in debug mode relating to ending exposures during AO guiding in MaxIm DL. We suspect may be related to your issues. I've asked Jan to forward me your log files, but if you have any on hand, posting them in this thread would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Your SBIG Universal Driver log files. Those are the most important ones.

4. Robert Mueller

Robert Mueller Standard User

Jan,
    I'm new to this forum and would like to know the status of the transmission timeout error. I image with a new STXL 11002 and self guiding few using the Sky X for camera control and CCDAutoPilot for automation. I get timeout error that occur with Sky X only or with CCDAutoPilot in the mix. When I get the error it often causes a loss of communication with my Paramount as well....very difficult to get going again after this happens ... Power cycle, sometimes reboot needed.

I use a single USB to the PC no hubs and Windows is set to not save power on USB and go to sleep.

I also have a STT 8300 and self guiding fw and have seen the same issue.

I would appreciate any update or fix for this issue.

Thanks,
    Robert Mueller

5. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

Sorry, I am not an employee of DL since April 1st. 2015. For more info, contact me off line at astrosoft@email.cz
    j

6. Adam Robichaud

Hi Robert,

I'll take a look at the issue for you. Can you get me the version numbers for the SBIGUDrv and the firmware versions from all of your cameras? (the STT, STF, and STXL) from the SBIG Driver Checker 64 firmware tab please? We've issued several fixes to all of those cameras over the past few months, and I'd like to make sure you've got them.

Cheers,
    -Adam

7. Robert Mueller

Adam
    Thanks .... I'll will provide the driver version information a bit later today. I appreciate the help.
    Robert Mueller

8. Robert Mueller

Adam,
    My STT8300 is not currently in use so can't get the firmware version.

My STXL11002 versions are:
    stxusb.bf2 1.06
    stxga.bf2 2.41
    stx11002.bf2 1.01.05
    stx0340.bf2 1.00.04

Thanks,
    Robert Mueller

9. Adam Robichaud

And the driver version?

There's an STXga.bf2 update available for your camera. Have you ever updated your camera's firmware before?

10. Robert Mueller

Adam,
    Sorry....here are the drivers...Driver Checker suggests they are current.
    sbigudrv.dll 4.88 build 2
    sbig64.sys 2.41.0.1338
    sbigucam.hex 2.42
    sbiglcam.hex 2.20
    sbigfcam.hex 2.25
    sbigfga.bin 2004.11.10

The camera is new so I have not done a firmware upgrade before.

Thanks,
    Robert Mueller

11. Robert Mueller

I updated the driver and firmware to current. Transmission Timeout error is persistent. What make it difficult is when the timeout error on the camera occurs it makes my mount loose its connection so I assume they are related. Right now imaging is unproductive without a fix.

Any others ideas are welcome...
    Robert Mueller

12. Adam Robichaud

Hi Robert,

That's unfortunate... I suspect there are a number of issues at play here, since we've got a number of confirmed STXL and STT firmware bugs we're investigating. Can you forward me a few SBIG log files capturing the error? I'd like to see what the offending command is.

Cheers,
    -Adam

13. Robert Mueller

Are saying it's unfortunate that I updated my firmware and drivers? If so I can confirm this issue existed before I updated and after.
    Where can I find the SBIG log files?
    Thanks,
    Robert

14. Adam Robichaud

Sorry, I meant it was unfortunate that the bug persisted. You need to turn SBIG logging on from SBIG Driver Checker 64. See the attached graphic for instructions on how to enable SBIG logging. Note that you should turn logging off for normal operation of your camera (i.e. when you're done testing for us). Open the "Debug Log" window, click "All", then "Set Path" (you'll be prompted to specify a file path, and file name for the log, then click "OK"). Once your driver log path has been set, click "OK" to close the debug log window, and "Done" to close SBIG Driver Checker 64.

The log file will be outputted to the directory you specified.

Cheers,
    -Adam

15. Robert Mueller

Adam,
    I will log my session next time I am are able to open the roof. Looks lke the Arizona monsoon season is showing up early.
    Robert