Resolved STXL6303 filter wheel failure

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by Steve Crouch, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Steve Crouch

Steve Crouch Cyanogen Customer

Hi

Recently I changed back to using my STXL6303 camera. Things were going great for a while and then the filter wheel stopped working properly. At least that's what I think is happening. Basically I can't change filters. When I try the camera makes a vibrating sound and then returns an error. I opened up the filter wheel and everything seems to be moving reasonably freely. Tried the CCDOPS filter wheel exerciser and it works for a short time but then makes the vibrating sound again and returns either a go to error or a seek error (didn't copy down the exact message) so it sounds as if the CFW is sticking somehow. I haven't updated anything recently. The camera was working perfectly a week ago.

Wondering what I should try next.

Steve

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Sounds like the wheel is stalling. Check for loose screws (don't tinker with the pivot screw though). Make sure there isn't something rubbing.

If you can't find the problem it may have to go in to Bill for a check.

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

To rule out software, can you confirm:
    1. What program are you normally running for imaging, and version? e.g. MaxIm DL Pro 6.27
    2. Launch SBIG Driver Checker. Do *not* Update. What version of sbigudrv.dll is reported?
    The version sbigudrv.dll 4.99 Build 7 would be correct

4. Steve Crouch

Hi Colin and Doug

I just updated the software and firmware before I saw Colin's reply so whatever is in there at the moment is presumably the latest. I also checked the camera interior replacing some of the screws in the filter wheel and as far as I can see there is no rubbing. I then ran the exerciser and it seemed to be okay with continuous moves but when I tried random moves it worked for a while, then the clicking/vibration sound started and it terminated with a "query state" error.

So maybe I have to send it back but given that I'm in Australia it's not something I'm keen to do but obviously if it's needed I'll do it. At least I have another camera.

Any other ideas?

Steve

5. Steve Crouch

Forgot to mention. I use the Sky X for imaging Version 10.5.0 (Build 10305)

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Steve, a few more questions, in case it gives us a clue. Maybe you could send us a photo of the interior of the FW.

1. What's the serial number of the FW ?
    2. Are you using the original power supply for the camera and original cable between the filter wheel and camera?
    3. Is the drive belt missing any teeth?
    4. Anything trapped between the carousel and the green circuit board? It could be blocking the position sensor.
    5. Is the spring-loaded positioner arm moving freely? No dirt build-up on the bearing, it spins freely?

Usual suspects: Position sensor - might get dirt on it and not detect the carousel position properly; Motor - they could get sticky after a few years; Control board - could be an electronics failure (I see this as less likely since it does seem to mostly work).

You might contact Don at the Binocular and Telescope store in Sydney, as they can do some repairs if we can figure out the issue.
    They can be reached via:
    https://www.binocularandtelescope.com.au/
    I can send Don an email if you wish.

Bisque has updated The Sky X to version 10.5.0 daily build 13096 - you're a few years out of date, but that shouldnt have any effect on this particular issue as far as I know.

7. Steve Crouch

Hi Colin

1. Serial number for FW is XS14030048
    2. The answer to the power supply question is "probably". I have 2 STXL cameras: 6303 and 16200. When I swap cameras I just leave the power supply that happens to be there so it could be either the 16200 or the 6303
    3. The drive belt doesn't seem to be missing any teeth
    4. Couldn't see anything trapped
    5. The positioner arm seems to be moving freely although I thought it was a bit firm. I reduced the tension of the central spindle very slightly but it made no difference

Overall it's about the same and possibly slightly worse. Yesterday sequential moves with the exerciser seemed to be working but now not. Moves the FW okay initially and then terminates with a "seek" error which suggests some sensor issue. I've attached a photo but I don't think it's going to be very helpful. Quite happy to deal with Bintel but I don't think we're at that stage yet. Sydney is currently on Covid lockdown but I don't think it's affecting much. [​IMG] BTW I got the Sky X version wrong. It's actually build 12078. The version on my house PC is older than the observatory PC.

I belatedly remembered that I have another filter wheel so perhaps the next thing to try will be to install that. It should be okay to just use the carousel part shouldn't it?

Cheers

Steve

8. Steve Crouch

Hi Colin

Well if I wasn't puzzled before I am now. I've just replaced the FW8 carousel with the equivalent carousel from the spare FW8 I had. Didn't put any filters in so the carousel is now empty. Fired up the CFW exerciser again and it still doesn't work. Makes an audible continuous clicking sound and simply can't even get to first base. CCDOPS returns a fetch error. I then reconnected the 16200 with its filter wheel - same problem. This time the exerciser returns a "CFW busy error.

So I don't know what's going on. The only thing I can think of is a software problem or some sort of power supply issue.

Cheers

Steve

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Steve, I just read your last 2 messages.
    I thought you were going to swap filter wheels. eg put the loaded carousel into the other FW8, and try that FW8 on this camera.
    The issue may be the green printed circuit board in the FW8 - it has the sensor.
    It could also be the white pigtail cable - a bad/bent pin, broken wire, or something along its length.
    It could be the camera.
    Power supply - the LEDs on the side of the camera should indicate normal voltage unless there is a problem.

Ideas:
    Connect the white pigtail from the known-good FW to the "problem" camera. Test. If it works, then it's the "problem" FW.
    You could also connect the white pigtail from the "problem" FW to the "good" camera. If it fails, it's definitely the FW.

Software wise, here's one possible thing that you could change.
    Revert from sbigudrv 5.0.2 to 4.99 build 7.
    To do this, launch SBIG Driver Checker.
    Hit REMOVE.
    This will uninstall the driver.
    Then uninstall it from the control panel Apps.
    Get the version that has 4.99 build 7 packaged in the driver.
    Install it.
    When you do the Update, tell it NO when it asks to check the internet for an update.
    Then it will use the old version.

See the bottom of this messsage for a link to the older SBIG driver:
    https://forum.diffractionlimited.com/threads/sbig-driver-update-for-new-afw-and-dual-wheels.8321/

See the bottom of this message for installation advice:
    https://forum.diffractionlimited.com/threads/sbigudrv-dll-has-broken-our-fw7-in-maxim-d-6-14.8375/

If you need a hand, let's do a TeamViewer session.

10. Steve Crouch

Hi Colin

Tentatively I think I can say it's fixed. I installed the spare filter wheel this time using all of it rather than just the carousel and this time the filter exerciser went fine. No funny vibration noises either. So clearly there must have been something wrong with the original fw. I'm currently updating my dark frame library and at the start of that I got a shutter error but it seemed to go away. I don't know if that's an indication that the shutter is sticking. Anyway I seem to be okay now but I won't be fully satisfied until I do a full imaging run. Little chance of that at the moment given the weather. Thanks very much for your help and encouragement.

Steve

11. Steve Crouch

Nope - a whole lot of new errors. 30017 (shutter error) coming up repeatedly. Also operating system error (30032) which I believe has something to do with windows update. Giving up for the night.

12. Steve Crouch

Just thought I would try one more time before going to bed. CFW exerciser works fine with both sequential and random moves. Now I'm getting shutter errors both in the Sky X and CCDOPS. This is something new which I don't recall happening before.

13. Steve Crouch

Well things have got worse and I really don't know what's going on. Yesterday the CFW exerciser was working fine but I was getting shutter errors which I don't recall ever getting with this camera before. Today I opened up the camera and checked the shutter was moving freely. Also checked the filter wheel again and it too appeared to be moving freely. When I powered up the camera again there was a funny clicking sound as if something was sticking. The CFW exerciser didn't work (fetch state error) and CCDOPS returned a shutter error when I attempted to take an image. The driver checker says everything is current.

I must admit I've been seriously considering giving up this game and selling my gear. Maybe it's approaching that time.

14. Steve Crouch

Well I don't know what's going on. Yesterday the filter wheel seemed fine but I was getting shutter errors. Today I opened up the camera and checked that the shutter was moving freely. Did the same with the filter wheel. When I powered up the camera again it made a continuous beeping sound which I haven't heard before. The CFW exerciser failed with a fetch error and the shutter error was still there. Tried to roll back the drivers to see if that would do anything but something went wrong and I couldn't work it out.

Getting quite sick of this. Maybe it's time for me to consider another hobby.

15. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Steve, why don't we schedule a TeamViewer session. If the computer is internet accessible, I could log in remotely, have a look at your settings and drivers, and sort out that part. Then we can figure out what is going on with all your stuff, and figure out what needs to be repaired.
    I'm on UTC-4 (EDT). Am not sure what part of Australia you are in, so there's probably a 12-14 hour time difference.
    What timezone are you on?
    Then we'll schedule a session and get you sorted.
    Hang in there.

16. Steve Crouch

That sounds good Colin. I'm on UTC + 10 (Sydney time). This probably will have little to do with the problem but I finally got a W10 update through. W10 updates haven't been working lately.

17. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, so you are 14 hours ahead of me. You're up either very late or very early (It's 13:49 here and I think 03:49 there!)
    Let me know when you could be available to do this.

18. Steve Crouch

Just happened to wake up (haven't been sleeping well). I would prefer about 0900 my time but I can adapt to any time you want.

19. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, we could do that. If you want to do 0900 today, then please have TeamViewer installed and up and running with camera and FW attached.
    Click the link Send a Private Message under my picture to send the TV username and password.
    I have a commitment at the equivalent of 0930 for 30 minutes or so, if we do this today.

20. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, FW appears fine. I reverted the driver to 4.99 build 7. Again fine.
    Shutter error needs mechanical inspection - could be a screw hitting the shutter, a missing/degraded magnet that isn't being detected by the sensor, or a drive problem.