Trouble connecting/operating SC-2 through SkyX

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by John Cangelosi, Mar 16, 2022.

Tags:
  1. John Cangelosi

John Cangelosi Standard User

I've been struggling with a consistent connection for my SC-2 through The Sky X. Common issues are:
    unable to connect to SC2,
    connecting and then not being able to take a photo,
    and/or connecting and taking photo but then everything seems to freeze up (and at times crash) when SC2 is connected.
    I have an STF-8300 that runs, connects, etc. error free but where the SC-2 is ASCOM it is not behaving on my setup.
    Earlier I was connecting without issue to MaxIm LT (version included with autoguider) without issue but lately I've been experiencing problems there also.

A common pattern of behavior is I'll connect everything (telescope, dome, cameras, etc.) and take some test photos with the SC-2. When I come back to it 10 minutes later everything is frozen or the SC-2 won't be able to take a photo or the Sky X crashes. Usually the serial # is no longer in the 'DL Imaging' proprieties ([​IMG] ). In MaxIm the camera has be disconnecting ([​IMG] ).

I have upgraded to ASCOM 6.6, current version and build of TSX, but sure to be missing something.
    Thank you,
    John

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

John, my colleague @Adam Robichaud will likely want to assist.

What version of everything are you running now?
    Have you recently upgraded software or made changes to the software environment?
    ASCOM Platform 6.6.0.3444
    MaxIm LT version eg 6.29
    TSX version? eg 10.5.0 daily build 13243 32-bit?

If you launch ASCOM Diagnostics, you can do a Device Connection Test to the SC-2, and check the versions there.
    ascom_diag_choose_connect_32.png
    and then:
    ASCOM_diag_choose_dl_imaging.png

The versions of the DL Imaging drivers will show up in the bottom of the properties.

Try connecting with ASCOM Diagnostics.
    If that fails, let us know.
    If that works, then TSX should connect to it.

If you've mixed installs - eg installed certain pieces of software like MaxIm 6.30 beta, the SetupDLImaging, and the ASCOM stuff, there is a possibility that things will get muddled.

3. John Cangelosi

All the listed versions are current and I can connect through ASCOM diagnostics no problem.
    The only thing missing- I do have an earlier version of the driver (v2.1.0.0) but I'm unsure of how to update them through the DL Config Utility.

I just did a test run and had the same errors as before and I noticed that the setup>DLImaging>properties field is missing the SC-2 serial number when these errors start occurring.

I then moved over to MaxIm to try my luck there and things seemed to go better. I did an ASCOM Direct guide calibration (I think) and received this[​IMG] message.

When finishing up I again tried to connect through TSX but tested the connection in ASCOM first (I assume [​IMG] this is a successful connect) but when trying to connect again (TSX) it produced this error [​IMG] where I usually get a #206 or communication port in use error.

Thanks!

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

@Adam Robichaud - can you assist John?

John - please use [Upload a File] to upload the images.
    I'll be off for a couple days, and Adam can likely remote in and see what is going on.

5. John Cangelosi

Thanks, here are some of the images.

Attached Files:

6. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Hi John, could I log in via a remote support tool and troubleshoot a bit? I suspect there's a version mismatch in some of our binaries causing trouble.

7. John Cangelosi

That would be great Adam. I'm free after 12:30 EST today if that works.

8. Adam Robichaud

That works great. Let's say 1pm EST? I'll send you a private message a few minutes before so you can grab the support tool with the connection key.

9. Adam Robichaud

I've connected with John and did the following:
    - Installed Release Candidate of DLAPI and ASCOM drivers on his system, resolving version differences and allowing discovery/connection of camera in third-party applications.
    - A stability issue with the connection to the SC-2 via the ASCOM driver in a third-party application was identified, and a ticket was logged to investigate it.
    - I set up his PC to use the native DL Imaging plugin in MaxIm DL for guiding, and installed the ASCOM driver for TheSky on his PC, configuring MaxIm to use it. Further configuration on his part is required to get it running.

In the meantime, we advise the following:
    - When updating DLAPI or MaxIm DL to the current release version, users should also update their ASCOM drivers via the installers located on our website. (See: https://diffractionlimited.com/, navigate to your camera's product page, check the downloads tab, and download/install "Drivers and Camera Configuration Utility" and "ASCOM Driver".
    - Monitor this forum for updates on when new DL Imaging drivers come out: https://forum.diffractionlimited.com/forums/dl-imaging-drivers.57/