Staff Assigned: Adam Robichaud Waiting to Start Download

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Alan Karty, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Bradley Rode

Bradley Rode Cyanogen Customer

Colin, it looks like I'm experienced the same problem described by others.

I've reinstalled v19, and the problem disappears, so it's something introduced since then.

The issue occurs after I run a focusing sequence in FocusMax. The next exposure, which is usually a light frame in a sequence, stalls after the exposure completes, with the message, "Waiting for StartDownload" (or something close). There is a delay, around 10s, and then the image downloads. This occurs whether I'm running under automation via ACP, or a MaximDL sequence, or just attempting a manual exposure after the focusing run. The problem persists indefinitely until I disconnect and reconnect to the camera in Maxim.

Again, v19 works fine.

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, understood.

3. Russell Croman

Russell Croman Cyanogen Customer

Any news on this? I am seeing the same thing, and the exposures taken afterwards are corrupted by amp glow (I guess) that accumulates during the "Waiting for StartDownload" delay.

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 9.25.54 PM.png

-Russ

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Just a reminder that @Adam Robichaud and @Brian Brown need to review the state of this, as Alan Karty prompted us on it again.
    Steve Brady's sample script needs to be tested in context of 6.23+ efforts.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

@Steve Brady is there a good reason to be using DisableAutoShutdown? It's a bit tricky to use properly, and will result in this stalling behavior if it doesn't work perfectly.

This feature was added to allow automation programs to start the telescope slewing before image downloading started. It's there only to accommodate old CPU-hogging cameras on single-threaded computers. It's not needed for modern cameras.

6. Steve Brady

Steve Brady Standard User

Hi Doug--

We have been using this cam.DisableAutoShutdown = True for many years to prevent MaxIm from disconnecting the camera following when an an image.
    By chance did you mean to say cam.AutoDownload (= False)? I will review the FocusMax code and create a beta with cam.AutoDownload = True to determine if it addresses the problem.

Steve

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yeah, sorry, that was a mis-type.

AutoDownload is probably the issue here. We have made some changes in that section in response to an issue with ACP.

It occurs to me now, though, that if you're running in parallel with ACP and it turns the feature on, it might have an impact on you. You might need to turn it off whenever you go to run the camera. On the other hand...

Owen "dropped by" and pointed out that the test script posted has a serious issue:

Do 
        WScript.sleep 100
    Loop While cam.ReadyForDownload = False

' OEL - StartDownload should be here!

Do While Not cam.ImageReady
        ' Don't consume CPU time while waiting
        wscript.sleep 100
    Loop

'Download the image
    cam.StartDownload 'OEL - Too late! Now we have suffered through the entire 10 second failsafe

'Get image array
    ImArray = cam.ImageArray

Owen is correct - you can't be waiting for the download when you haven't told it yet to start downloading! That seems like a big problem.

8. Steve Brady

Steve Brady Standard User

Thank you Doug, fortunately the FocusMax code was correct : ^ ))

With your input I have posted a beta for user testing that sets AutoDownload = True.

Any user who would like to try the beta can send me a private message on the CCDWare/FocsuMax forum.

Thanks again to you and your staff!

Best wishes & clear skies,

Steve Brady

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi @Steve Brady
    Steve,
    I've got another case, however this relates to OLD FocusMax 3.8.20, and it sounds like the same thing.
    Personally I think this customer should upgrade to the currrent (Beta) and pay you some money, if it fixes his issue.

This thread is a bit messy, as there is a lot going on in it.
    I've been thinking of splitting it up.
    Problem 1 is that FocusMax is apparently hanging due to the Waiting for Start Download.
    https://forum.diffractionlimited.com/threads/maximdl-v6-24-problem.7820/
    His post is a 5:06am, search for:
    "I found out what is causing Waiting for StartDownload. It is FocusMax"

If you don't want to engage, I totally get it.

Thanks
    C